More competition

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
If you go by the claimed shipping cost of $3-4/item & $7000 in shipping that's in the neighborhood of 2000 items shipped. If you figure just 1/2 hour per item to find, buy, list, pack & ship each item that's 1000 hours. How come they didn't mention the time involved in the article?? They mentioned you will have gas, smart phone, & supply expenses but didn't figure that in when they calculated their profit.

After you read the article scroll down & check out the comments. Almost every one complains about the fees & the new rule that 1099's will be issued. I agree that the fees are high. I'm against giving the IRS tax money but the 1099 issue cracks me up. There's always been a clear paper trail for anyone selling on ebay & accepting payment by paypal, & the IRS has always wanted it's cut. It's doubtful they were actively looking for small time sellers but that doesn't change the fact that taxes have always been owed if a profit is made.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't worry about that article. Ebay is biting the hand that feeds it. More and more sellers are getting fed up with their fees and policies lately. It's gonna hurt them in the long run.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My numbers for last year were twice has high as any number in that post and I am doing it part time. That being said it is a lot of hard work and I think most people are lazy and will read the post, give it a shot, realize how much time, work and dedication it takes to do well on ebay and just give up. I think you truly have to love doing it in order to make good money.

OP
OP
SEANO

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
famous turtle treasures said:
That being said it is a lot of hard work and I think most people are lazy and will read the post, give it a shot, realize how much time, work and dedication it takes to do well on ebay and just give up. I think you truly have to love doing it in order to make good money.

Agree 100%

OP
OP
SEANO

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
trdhrdr007 said:
After you read the article scroll down & check out the comments. Almost every one complains about the fees & the new rule that 1099's will be issued. I agree that the fees are high. I'm against giving the IRS tax money but the 1099 issue cracks me up. There's always been a clear paper trail for anyone selling on ebay & accepting payment by paypal, & the IRS has always wanted it's cut. It's doubtful they were actively looking for small time sellers but that doesn't change the fact that taxes have always been owed if a profit is made.

The Comments were the best part of the article, even it they weren't actually part of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread