More Eagle buttons, but not WB, Sco, or HM backmarks. Cavalry?

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Yeah I know. More Eagle buttons.
Found at possible stable at old army base. Trying to get a ballpark date.
Found with several buckles marked "Rauf Co."

ButtonBucklesFrtweb.jpg

Top one: UAM Co.
Second: N.S. ME. (2 stars) New York (2 stars)
Third: Fischer

ButtonBucklesObvweb.jpg

Could the buttons be for horse dressage?

DIRTSWEEPER

Feb 26, 2007
UPSTATE NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, 5" excel, detectorpro phones
Hey hey, the one backmark you mentioned is N.S.Meyer of new york. I am working on dates myself. The great seal has been around since early 1900 and made by a few makers that I have seen. I dug this one the other day, its also N.S.Meyer. Will let you know if I find out more. L8R

HOWLOW

Attachments

• STA60247.JPG
    STA60247.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 397
  • STA60248.JPG
    STA60248.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 257
Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
N.S.Meyer made militaria, badges, ribbons, pins, etc... dates are unknown to me, but - today the company is owned (or was bought by) the Vanguard Company who makes all the things today, to include patches and pins, etc.

There is some litigation with the transaction between companies right now, but - if you goto MSMeyer.com you will end up at Vanguard's website.

I found a navy button with that back mark... Alberts identified it as 1941 or after... so, that should give you a ballpark date.

http://www.tias.com/11052/PictPage/1922422656.html

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
You asked; "Could the buttons be for horse dressage?"

I guess... bright and shinny... but seems more likely soldiers used the place or an entire pockfull of buttons was lost there.

Is there a history of military activity there?

There countless reasons the buttons ended up there...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lafitte

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Hey guys,
Thanks for the info.
Yes, the buttons and buckles were found at an old military base that operated from 1898 to the mid 50's. From my research, these were found in an area that was used for stables.
The base was most active during the period of the Spanish American war through WW2.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
great seal buttons were standard issue buttons--after 1902---there were various makers --the rear had a makers name --thats the key to dating their appoximate age---Ivan

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lafitte

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
I understand the issue of the great seal buttons' mass production. :) That's why I provided the pics of the obverse. I have not found two of these manufacturers in my searches. (MJ,The Vanguard website didn't have much historical info.)

(See 2nd pic):
Top one: UAM Co.
Second: N.S. ME. (2 stars) New York (2 stars)
Third: Fischer...

The reason I am trying to get a general date on these is to establish the time frame/usage of the area where I found them. Thanks for the info so far, tho.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread