More Finds in Germany

88irocarmy

Feb 25, 2007
Rhineland Gerrmany
Detector(s) used
Deus XP 3.2
A mixed lot today.
I got two US metal buttons
My oldest US coin found on base to date(1947 Nickle)
One 1940 Nazi coin, 3 Grenade fuze housings, some rank and clad

Need Help IDing:
1.Blade like item in the bottom left, it has a blade on one side.
2.The other item in the bottom left I believe is a trip wire activated mechanism for booby traps.
3. Shell casing was marked, 33,R, 1, CN.., rimmed...it does not look like 8mm Mauser.

If you are into military equipment try my other site: http://community.webshots.com/user/irocarmy88

Thanks
HH

Attachments

• 19 March Finds.jpg
    19 March Finds.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 765
Upvote 0
Cool finds, no help on the ID! The grenade fuses are neat, I have not found one that I know of. You might be doing this but, check out any small fields near the main post where small platoons could have practiced whatever over the years, I found a silver Rosie dime on one. There are a lot of areas like that where you are. Also check around the bases of shade trees, troopies love to take a break and I have found a few coin spills at the base of a nice shade tree on the Army posts. HH, Mike

Sorry - I have no ideas to ID your stuff too - not military expert :). But I know those grenade fuses - found about 100 of them (but french) in my previous living place. It was the hell - hundreds of signals and 99.9% were shells and fuses.

HH Sand

AH HA! you guys helped me ID that same bullet too! I found them all over Mainz, but never figured out what they were to. But now I know :) lots of cool relics you have there! I found a grenade fuse like the ones you have, still looking for the grenade it went to. Keep it up! The clocks move forward tonight, so more daylight will help out :)

It's weird to find French rounds ( post WWI)in Germany, but, its a popular caliber used in many weapons. I find many of the grenade fuze housing on post. I'm always surprised where I find rounds, such as parade fields and housing areas.
Hey Viper, have you tried detecting on your base yet??

I tried hunting outside of Landstuhl (since it was a Hitler Youth camp in ww2), but the area is full of m16 blanks. I did find a musketball, some 9 mil bullets, and other odds and ends.. but nothing great. I never tried to hunt on base.. i figure that most places have been picked though over the years.. I could always try a closed post/base though. Most of the places I go to now are between 10-30 mins away and are full of stuff still. Each place is large so there is a lot of ground to cover...never have time to really map it out.

I found some french grenades in one of my spots.. either the allies got them as they came across saarbruken, or the volksstrum were issued them (they used a lot of captured weapons)... I was thinking maybe thats where the french bullets came from.

The firing device is really cool! I hope to find a few weapons while I am out here. Keep it up!!

Hi Viper, I think there was some action in the Landstuhl area during the Napoleonic era. Have you been to Edenkoben, Schiefer Turm? There was a quite important battle in 1796.

No i haven't!! Thanks for the info!! I will have to check that out. I've been to morlautern, where there was a french and prussian battle, and mainz, but not those places you mentioned. I will have to find some info about that. It is kind of hard to get battle maps of EARLY battles since they didn't really make accurate ones, compared to the battles that napoleaon had part in. He was really into recording stuff, so those maps are well detailed. I will check those sites out and see if I can get a location :) Thanks!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back