Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Field walking on my way to the creek.
IMG_2766.jpeg

I saw this guy and got excited. But not too special.
IMG_2770.jpeg

Above the tape is field flint. Below the tape is creek flint. I donā€™t normally find much in or near the creek.

Upvote 5

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember when I first started hunting heads in ā€˜85. Flakes but no heads! After a couple months of that I decided if I canā€™t find any Iā€™ll make my own. I did just that. I eventually started finding them and got good at knapping and finding heads too. It takes time.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I first started hunting heads in ā€˜85. Flakes but no heads! After a couple months of that I decided if I canā€™t find any Iā€™ll make my own. I did just that. I eventually started finding them and got good at knapping and finding heads too. It takes time.
Learning to knap is the best thing I could have done to really understand flakes and how and why things look the way they do.

Very consistent on the material, the white is easy to spot but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if thereā€™s other stuff. Or maybe Iā€™m biased because the area I hunt usually has a good mix of material

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Learning to knap is the best thing I could have done to really understand flakes and how and why things look the way they do.

Very consistent on the material, the white is easy to spot but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if thereā€™s other stuff. Or maybe Iā€™m biased because the area I hunt usually has a good mix of material
I do find some that are light gray. Others show orange, tan or brown.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread