More from the ravine

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
Well, I am about 90 percent convinced that this stuff is just a freak of nature, but
here's a few more.

PDR_0944.jpg

PDR_0943.jpg

PDR_0942.jpg

PDR_0941.jpg

Upvote 0
Yep,

Freaks of nature...the lot. You have to remember what usage does to a tool. When the Indians made tools usually they ground them down to be smooth...to one degree or another....especially hand tools. Think of it this way...if you were going to make a hand axe out of rock that you were going to use....would you not work all the sharp corners and bumps off it....paying close attention to the area you were going to grasp it by? Also usage tends to smooth and polish a piece...and add natural depressions/pits...which are normally polished shiny by the way.....tools are rarely rough, crudely made chunks....axes and celts are normally more "works of art" than just tools. Something which they spend a good deal of time and effort on.

One other point I have failed to make....normally.....at least such as been my experience.....you are highly unlikely to find a concentration of axes, celts and other stone implements completely divorced from any chipped stone, points or other "worked" site components. So if you don't find chips and stuff.....you aren't likely to find much else that is Indian either.....its not 100%, but dang close.

Keep looking.

Atlantis

I, myself have not found any points from this spot but dozens of people have for more then a hundred years. It gets hunted to death.
The points that I've seen from there looked like madisons. I have some possible scrapers from there that I will post.
bm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back