More Information On Button

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I dug this button yesterday at a site that has given up three ringers, Eagle buttons and other civil war relics. We were thinking a confederate rifleman button but when I had a good source check for me I was informed that the ones listed had a rim around the R and as you can see this one does not. The back mark is superior quality. I don't want to clean it until I get some more information on it. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Rbutton1.jpg
    Rbutton1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Rbutton2.jpg
    Rbutton2.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Rbutton3.jpg
    Rbutton3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Rbutton4.jpg
    Rbutton4.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 41

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Superior Quality" backmark was part of the Steele & Johnson company. Organized in 1852 to manufacture gilt and metal plated buttons. Sold to Waterbury Jewelry Co. in 1856 but reorganized on March 17, 1858 as Steele and Johnson Button Co. In 1875 it became Steele & Johnson Mfg. Co.& lasted to 1920. Waterbury Button Co. Bought Steele & Johnson in the mid20th century.
I couldn't find a button like yours in Alberts or Tices books.
I did find one on the Waterbury site that looks like yours and is listed under letters in the career uniform section. It is marked "End Locator" but I have no idea what that means.

https://waterburybutton.com/product-detail/end-locator-3264

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you very much!

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we knew what the button letters stood for we could possibly narrow down the time frame. You might contact Waterbury and see if they have any more information on it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions