What's new

More Information On Button

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
1,379
Reaction score
642
Golden Thread
1
Location
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I dug this button yesterday at a site that has given up three ringers, Eagle buttons and other civil war relics. We were thinking a confederate rifleman button but when I had a good source check for me I was informed that the ones listed had a rim around the R and as you can see this one does not. The back mark is superior quality. I don't want to clean it until I get some more information on it. Thanks for any help!
 

Attachments

  • Rbutton1.webp
    Rbutton1.webp
    99.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Rbutton2.webp
    Rbutton2.webp
    112.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Rbutton3.webp
    Rbutton3.webp
    57.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Rbutton4.webp
    Rbutton4.webp
    63 KB · Views: 81
The "Superior Quality" backmark was part of the Steele & Johnson company. Organized in 1852 to manufacture gilt and metal plated buttons. Sold to Waterbury Jewelry Co. in 1856 but reorganized on March 17, 1858 as Steele and Johnson Button Co. In 1875 it became Steele & Johnson Mfg. Co.& lasted to 1920. Waterbury Button Co. Bought Steele & Johnson in the mid20th century.
I couldn't find a button like yours in Alberts or Tices books.
I did find one on the Waterbury site that looks like yours and is listed under letters in the career uniform section. It is marked "End Locator" but I have no idea what that means.

https://waterburybutton.com/product-detail/end-locator-3264
 
Upvote 0
Thank you very much!
 
Upvote 0
If we knew what the button letters stood for we could possibly narrow down the time frame. You might contact Waterbury and see if they have any more information on it.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom