deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The boy and I finally got hold of the owner of a 1920 yard we've been wanting to detect.

Things were slow for awhile and we had our suspicions that it had been hunted already. Then I got a 85-86 on the AT Pro. Flipped a plug and saw silver in the hole, my third SLQ this year and still none with a date.
I was in the side yard and the boy was in the lower front yard. Every time I asked him if he found anything he'd tell me junk. Then he hollers up to me he says he has silver himself, 63 Washington. Little did I know he was digging Chinese cash coins the whole time, 5 total? Along with a Sunoco token, a Palmolive token a and two wheats.
My only other half decent finds were 2 wheats and a small brass bell and my second 1888 Indian Head. I just found a 1888 IH yesterday, what are the odds of finding two 1888 IH's two hunts back to back and eight miles apart?

In the middle of our hunt the neighbor comes over to talk to us. He tells us his brother use to live there and that he had already detected the property? No, we didn't tell him we found anything. Lol

Some pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Upvote 3

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahhh...that SLQ brings back memories...:BangHead: Anyway...2 of my better finds were found in a very small yard that was detected for years by one of the guys living there and his brother. I didn't bother him with details or shame him either lol. Do you and your son always get such nice finds? It seems every day you 2 are making great hunts.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice SLQ. That reminds me of a story about a man that found a SLQ, but lost it before he got it home. Ah, the good old (dude) days!

Well done DS. The boy put in a strong showing too. GL to you both!

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh...that SLQ brings back memories...:BangHead: Anyway...2 of my better finds were found in a very small yard that was detected for years by one of the guys living there and his brother. I didn't bother him with details or shame him either lol. Do you and your son always get such nice finds? It seems every day you 2 are making great hunts.

I take it those memories aren't good ones or is it the fact others won't let you forget it? (CT and company)

I wish all our hunts were good hunts. The last several new permissions we got have been either already hit or fill dirt brought in and graded.
Were always looking for new properties and taking advantage of every opportunity we get. It's been hard lately which is why I made a trip to our ole Bed and Breakfast the other day.
Another thing I think helps is the fact the kid likes digging those iffy hits and low and high tones both. That in turn means I have to do the same or the kid will pull away from me with better finds. Lol

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn DS, 3 without a date? Must all be early 1916's with the exposed busts! Lol. Hey, they're a nice find date or not. Those IH's are a nice as well and made for a pretty nice day!

OP
OP
deershed

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn DS, 3 without a date? Must all be early 1916's with the exposed busts! Lol. Hey, they're a nice find date or not. Those IH's are a nice as well and made for a pretty nice day!

Found one last year too, so that's four now total with out a date. I heard with the design of the SLQ the date is the first to go with wear. I'll still take them with or with out a date. Lol

Hey, check out the pic I posted of the boys finds in my post "first ever V nickel"

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Chinese coins may be unimaginably old. It was very common for Chinese coins to circulate for many hundreds of years, nobody collected them so if a Chinese man found a 300 year old coin in circulation he would just spend it like any other coin. So you could potentially at any given time find Chinese coins from several different past centuries in your hand.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs . Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures with us

Top Member Reactions