More Stagecoach Stops

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
These are great places to look around. Even if you cant hunt the exact spot,some of these properties are now restored and there are searchable properties,empty lots adjoining them.

Waterbury Vermont. http://www.oldstagecoach.com/history/history-old-stagecoach-inn-vermont-bed-and-breakfast.asp
The town of Waterbury was established in 1763 under a grant from King George III, but sustained settlement did not begin until 1780. Many of these early pioneers were from Connecticut. In fact, Waterbury , Vermont , took its name from Water-bury, Connecticut . Then, as now, the town lying where the Winooski River breaks through the Green Mountain chain on its way west to Lake Champlain sits at a strategic intersection: east/ west, from Montpelier to Burlington, and north/ south from the Mad River Valley up to Stowe. Therefore, Waterbury was a logical location for an establishment catering to travelers going in either direction.

The inn was built in 1826 by Waterbury’s first lawyer, later Judge, Dan Carpenter

Waynesville MO http://www.fidnet.com/~bigpiney/building.html
The Old Stagecoach Stop, probably known as The Waynesville House, was built by William Walton McDonald on land he purchased in 1854. W. W., a veteran of the Mexican War, came to Pulaski County from St. Louis County around 1850 and became County Clerk, Circuit Clerk, and Postmaster. His hotel, originally a double pen log building, was a stop on the St. Louis to Springfield stage route.

When Civil War broke out, the stage road became important to the Union Army for moving men and supplies from the rail head at Rolla to southwestern Missouri and into Arkansas. A telegraph wire was strung for communication and the already venerable path became known as The Wire Road. The Union positioned a fort on the hill above the town square to guard the road, communications, and to "clear the surrounding country of guerrillas". Colonel Albert Sigel commanded the Waynesville Post and commandeered McDonald's building for a hospital.

Chitina Alaska http://www.hotelchitina.com/#area
Chitina sprang up with a boom from 1908 to 1915. It once boasted that it had the finest accommodations north of Seattle...Breedman’s Hotel Chitina. It was a transportation “hub” connecting the Kennicott copper mine with Seattle smelters via train from Kennicott to Cordova; then barge to Seattle. It also connected to Fairbanks via road. The railroad arrived in 1910 and Chitina thrived until 1938 when the railroad pulled out. It quickly became a ghost town

Miltonville Ohio http://www.middle-america.org/crout/Madison/miltonvl.html

In the 1850's Miltonville was at its height of prosperity. It had a United Brethren Church and a public schoolhouse, and two general stores, which sold everything from needles and pins to farmers' plows.

Miltonville being located at an important crossroads, an old stagecoach line passed through the village. This meant that it was often an overnight stop, and two hotels were built and did a good business. Each, of course, had a tavern.

According to historians the stage coaches followed a route from Cincinnati to Hamilton, up the Prairie Road (now the Hamilton- Middletown Road) to a ford crossing just south of Gregory Creek. The road led to Trenton, then on to Miltonville. At Miltonville, the stagecoach forded Elk Creek at the present bridge and then turned north, following the east side of the creek and cutting through the present Augspurger farm.

For many years, according to W.C. Augspurger of Howe Road, the stagecoach tracks were visible where they cut up the side of the incline. The old trail finally emerged at the top of the West Middletown hill, and a coach could turn eastward toward Middletown or westward to Eaton and Richmond.

The Eagle Hotel built around 1816 was the chief landmark of the village.

When the old Miltonville hostelry was torn down in December 1982, it was the last of the business and industrial structures to go. Named after John Milton, the famous English poet, the village reached its zenith around 1850. At that time it was one of the most prosperous in Ohio with three blacksmith shops, two wagon shops and a buggy painting shop, a tailor and shoe shop and two general stores. At that same time it also boasted of two slaughter houses and two potteries, and a pump manufacturing plant. A four-story grist mill was operating along the race from the dam on Elk Creek just north of the crossroads.

Marsing Idaho Owyhee County Poison Creek Stage Stop No site ...just photo below

Attachments

• Waterbury Inn Note blackbarn behind.jpg
    Waterbury Inn Note blackbarn behind.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 5,103
  • Hotel Chitina, Alaska.jpg
    Hotel Chitina, Alaska.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 5,096
  • Waynesville House.jpg
    Waynesville House.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3,588
  • Poison Creek Stage Stop.jpg
    Poison Creek Stage Stop.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 3,780
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Long Island NY Connetquot River State Park Preserve
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9E07E3DE1E31F93AA15751C1A960958260

Snedecor Inn, built in 1820, a stagecoach stop for travelers on the old South Country Road. The inn became the South Side Sportsmen's Club of Long Island in 1866, when a group of wealthy men bought it. It is now a meeting place for the Vanderbilt Historical Society and other groups.

Milano Texas No site info...just photo below
the
"OLD STAGE COACH HOUSE IN MILANO"
This house built in 1892 is located 3 miles south of Milano. Once used as a stagecoach house now stands in disrepair

SABINAL STAGE COACH STOP" outside of Sabinal TX. Not site info just photo below

an old stage coach stop on the way to San Antonio, "SABINAL STAGE COACH STOP".

Henderson Caroline County, Maryland http://www.rootsweb.com/~mdcaroli/index.htm

Grandmother: Thos days people road on horseback then, too, stagecoaches jogged over the sandy roads to carry passengers and mail. The stagecoach that came nearest to us came from Easton and went to the head of the Sassafras River. It stopped at Melville, for our postoffice was there then.
Jacob: How did people know when the stagecoach was coming and where did they wait for it if they wanted to take a ride?
Grandmother: Tra--ra--ra the postillion would blow his horn long and loud as he neared villages, crossroads, or inns. Country folks all around would gather at the stopping places to see the stagecoach pass. This didn't happen every day remember, once or twice a week perhaps. (Grandmother looks over her glasses and says:)
Ah! those were merry days, and it was a jolly time when the old stagecoach drew up before the postoffice door. While the mail was taken off, if any passengers were waiting they took their seats in the coach if the day was rainy; or on the top if the day was warm and fair, travelers chatted with the country folks who had gathered to hear the news. When all was ready the postillion blew his horn, the driver cracked his whip, the people cheered and amid the barking of the dogs which had come along with their masters, the coach was off on its journey.

Attachments

• MILANO_.jpg
    MILANO_.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,230
  • Sabin.jpg
    Sabin.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 3,296
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Lyndon Ks

Old Stage Coach Barn - SE corner 6th & Ash -- This site is where the Old Stage Barn, built in 1870, stood for many years. It was still standing in 1913.

Lyndon, the county seat of Osage (OS) County, is located on Highway 75 about 27 miles south of Topeka, in northeast Kansas. It is situated between to Federal reservoirs; Pomona Lake, 5 miles north and Melvern Lake, 5 miles south.

This ones for sale Old Sauk Trail, between Chicago and Detroit,
US-12 x M-50, Cambridge Junction - Irish Hills Area
$284,900
2 acres - 6172 sq ft - built in 1854
The BRICK WALKER TAVERN, originally a stage coach stop on the Old Sauk Trail, between Chicago and Detroit, is located on the western edge of the Irish Hills at the intersection of US 12, M-50 and the Old Monroe Pike, and just a mile from Michigan International Speedway. With over 2 acres, the property is presently used as a residence (1,021 s/f in the apartment) and an antique shop. This structure has 22 rooms with a ballroom on the third floor. Sturdy and strong, the building has many original features such as wide plank wood floors, 6/6 windows, vertical paneled doors with original hardware and much more.

Lenawee County Stage Station for Sale
US-12 in the Irish Hills Area
$259,000
2 acres - 2688 sq feet - Built in 1845
Commercially zoned property with historical significance and two well-maintained buildings,
original stagecoach stop on the Old Sauk Trail (US-12) is presently a residence. Once used as a Bed & Breakfast. Second building is a retail shop, office, workshop and garage built in 1989 as a replica of a store in rural Lenawee County. This property has been restored with history and comfort in mind and now demonstrates tremendous potential for a family wanting to run a small business. Located on US-12 (very close to the road) and within 4 miles of Michigan International Speedway and other major cities

Attachments

• Brick Walker Tavern.jpg
    Brick Walker Tavern.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 5,096
  • Irish_Hills_-_Old_Stagecoach_Stop.jpg
    Irish_Hills_-_Old_Stagecoach_Stop.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 3,402

Treasuredawg

Mar 19, 2006
Northern Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exployer II, Xterra 30
Gypsy, you always have the best posts....you must live on the ole computer!! I live in Northern Arkansas. Do you know of any Stage stops here or where I can find locations??

Treasuredawg

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/archinfo/fitz.html

Fitzgeralds Station ...Fayetteville

http://www.rootsweb.com/~arfrankl/History/Wire_Road/old_wire_road.htm

Old Wire Road Stage Stop

Settlements.trading post and stage stops\

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/co/county/prowers/hist/settle.html

A History of the Stagecoach Business in Camden, Arkansas
http://asms.k12.ar.us/armem/stark/STAGECCH.HTM

/////////////////////////////////////////

Rogers Arkansas
http://www.rogersarkansas.com/museum/photoOfTheMonth/11-04.asp

http://www.nwarpc.com/heritage_trail_plan.htm

http://www.over-land.com/wagonroad.html

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an obscure one for you. A local farmer told about a "mail stop" near me. I found the old map collection at Wichita State. It shows a town of Eden Prairie. I talked to the land owner, but he didn't seem too interested. I didn't press him. If I owned the place.......

For anybody interested, here is the link to the map collection
http://specialcollections.wichita.edu/collections/maps/

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Fascinating....too bad we do not all have Gypsy's talent for research! and thank God we all get the benefits of it! :D We love you Gypsy!! ~hugs~

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gypsy. Even though I had seen those pages before I did not realize how much information was there. I work in Talbot Co. Drive through Caroline Co. and live in Dorchester Co. Maryland. finding that stagcoach route stop would be great. Just when I was getting down about having nowhere to detect Your post has rekindled the fire.

Thanks again.

Ed D.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy, The old Sauk Trail goes threw Saukville Wis. Years ago, due to it being a special site there was a sign in the triangle park that said "Keep Out of Park" I wish I had taken a photo. I use to live in Saukville but never questoned the wisdom of that sign, but always wondered about it. Well the sign is gone and people are allowed in the park now. The Chief of police gave me permission to hunt there but I found only one penny. Gee I wonder why? The Sauk Trail sign is still there today.

Heres an old photo of my maternal grandfather's hunting camp in the 1920's or so. He trapped for a living back then.
This had once been a stage stop too. It sat near the Pecos River in Southwest Texas between Monahans and Fort Stockton.

Attachments

• Grndads Camp.jpg
    Grndads Camp.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,574

sodiumrye

Dec 27, 2008
NW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Still swinging my old Garrett master hunter ADS2
Well was hoping you may know a place to find a map of the stagecoach tavern near Union Star. I have been looking for some time and the plat maps didn't help either. I have followed miles of the old route on foot but have yet to find the actual hotel tavern. Everything I have found on it is so vague but i have searched 3 locations that may have been it but can not confirm that any where the actual spot.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
sodiumrye said:
Well was hoping you may know a place to find a map of the stagecoach tavern near Union Star. I have been looking for some time and the plat maps didn't help either. I have followed miles of the old route on foot but have yet to find the actual hotel tavern. Everything I have found on it is so vague but i have searched 3 locations that may have been it but can not confirm that any where the actual spot.
Are you talking about DeKalb County?

sodiumrye

Dec 27, 2008
NW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Still swinging my old Garrett master hunter ADS2
Sorry, yes I am refering to DeKalb county. I do know there was another near King City and another near Albany also but the one I am interested in is in Dekalb. I know I should just dig deeper but you seem to come up with answers and thought I would just ask. Thank you for your time :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions