jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab (1950-1951)

the wonder of atomic engineering was what earned this Gilbert cloud chamber a reputation as “the world's most dangerous toy.” It was quickly pulled from the market, but the manufacturer continued to assure parents that the tiny bit of radioactive material included with each set was essentially harmless

000aaa.jpg

The Gilbert Atomic Energy Lab — dubbed the world's most dangerous toy — has gone on display at the Ulster Museum in Northern Ireland. The toy earned the title because it includes four types of uranium ore, three sources of radiation, and a Geiger counter that enables parents to measure just how contaminated their child have become. The Gilbert Atomic Energy Lab was only available between 1951 and 1952 and was the most elaborate atomic energy educational kit ever produced. The toy was one of the most costly toys of the time, retailing at $50

Attachments

• 000aaa.jpg
    000aaa.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 23

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have wanted one of those kits!

Lots of examples of other dangerous toys, including into recent times:

The "CSI: Fingerprint Examination" kit was a good one, with up to 5% asbestos in the readily-inhalable fingerprint powder. Hey kids... it don't smell too bad.

I recall getting my first "Merit" chemistry set, which had a parental reassurance on the box that it contained no chemicals that could be mixed to create an explosion. Now, there was a challenge which my young enquiring mind established to be demonstrably untrue. It would be inappropriate to explain how, but suffice to say that the inclusion of a test tube full of the excellent oxidiser potassium permanganate was ill-considered.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a chemistry set mid 1960's that was in a metal case that stood on end and opened from the middle, and when open had shelves full of interesting chemicals. It also had a Bunsen burner with wick, test tubes, stand for burning tube contents over burner, &c. Also had a microscope set with all the fixins. Our basement was akin to Dexter's Laboratory.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
shoe.ray_.jpg

The well-equipped shoe store in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s would have the popular X-Ray machine known as the Fluoroscope. This now discredited machine caused cancer of the foot and was quickly consigned to the dustbin of technical history.

A substantial amount of radiation was scattered in all directions bathing the entire bodies of the customer as well as the salesman in radiation. A typical viewing lasting about 20 seconds.. Because many of the machines were poorly maintained, some of them delivered potentially hazardous doses. Particularly bad ones were found to deliver three hundred times the permissible limit. Even those seating in the waiting rooms were irradiated with radiation. This was exacerbated by the fact that a customer rarely tried a single pair of shoes, and these customers often kept coming back over and over again.
Don.....(I used it many times which may account for my current baldness.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread