Most Youve dumped at a bank?

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PREFACE - I am new to this, so my opinion is not worth someone who has done more of this.

However...

First thought - $770 in halves is 1540 coins... my first dump (from collecting pennies for no good reason for almost 10 years) was almost $80 in pennies... or 8000 coins... over 5 times the number of coins you are looking to dump.

Second thought - Even though the bank I dump at is a national bank that screwed my wife and I over years back, I realize that the people who actually do the work for me when I dump had nothing to do with that, so I always try to be polite with them. And at least at this bank, the main thing is coming when they aren't busy. I usually give them a call and just say "hey, I've got $100 in dimes I need to cash in, would now be a good time?"

Third thought - assuming that you do try to go when they aren't busy, I would think splitting it would be MORE of a pain in the ass than doing it all at once. Either way, at some point they will have to switch out bags and get 1540 coins through the machine.

Third though - Best thought yet - why not just give the bank a call (since it might help to do that to see when they are busy anyways) and ask them what they would prefer...

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
770$ in halves that's a lot of bag changes, assuming they need to change out the bag at every 100$. You can test the machine first, with half of your 770$. To see how much it takes before a bag change.

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought halves came in $500 bags...

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idk why but I have to roll my halves back up. No banks near me have machines to run my coins through......

kawika18

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My credit unions coin machine has $1000 bags. I dumped $999 the other day with no problem. Only one bag change.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most I've ever put through a coin machine at one branch: $500 in halves.

Most I've ever dumped in bags at one branch: $5,000 in halves.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PREFACE - I am new to this, so my opinion is not worth someone who has done more of this.

However...

First thought - $770 in halves is 1540 coins... my first dump (from collecting pennies for no good reason for almost 10 years) was almost $80 in pennies... or 8000 coins... over 5 times the number of coins you are looking to dump.

Second thought - Even though the bank I dump at is a national bank that screwed my wife and I over years back, I realize that the people who actually do the work for me when I dump had nothing to do with that, so I always try to be polite with them. And at least at this bank, the main thing is coming when they aren't busy. I usually give them a call and just say "hey, I've got $100 in dimes I need to cash in, would now be a good time?"

Third thought - assuming that you do try to go when they aren't busy, I would think splitting it would be MORE of a pain in the ass than doing it all at once. Either way, at some point they will have to switch out bags and get 1540 coins through the machine.

Third though - Best thought yet - why not just give the bank a call (since it might help to do that to see when they are busy anyways) and ask them what they would prefer...

If dumping in coin machines, I routinely split my dumps across at least two branches. $250 and one branch, $250 at another. It is more of a pain in the ass for me having to drive from one branch to the other, but the higher chance of an overage or finding reject tray or teller tray silver makes up for it.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$6k in bags has been the most, with $4k in rolls in second place. None of my financial institutions have free coin counters, few accept bags, but all accept rolls.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Mastermind, I too have dumped $5k at one branch before. This was done in 5 $1000 bags. They didn't mind because all they do is credit my account and roll the cart back to the vault and wait for the courier to pick it up. Not much work on the tellers' behalf.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If dumping in coin machines, I routinely split my dumps across at least two branches. $250 and one branch, $250 at another. It is more of a pain in the ass for me having to drive from one branch to the other, but the higher chance of an overage or finding reject tray or teller tray silver makes up for it.

That right there! I dumped 499$ in dimes just a hour ago.. walked away with 502.xx$ and 1 silver dime from the REJECT tube.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have one dump bank with a machine now; for the others I dump rolled halves. The bank with a machine is TD and the half dollar banks fill at $100, so I don't dump more than what causes one bag change (no more than $200, closer to $100). For the rolled halves, the most I've dumped at any one time is $200; I usually dump about $150 in rolled halves. I only search one box a week max, so this works for me and doesn't seem to piss off any bank tellers too much.

One of my old dump banks had machines that could take huge amounts of coins without filling up (all coin types went into one bin), so I could dump $500 without bothering anybody.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most volume I've ever dumped at one time was somewhere between $1000 and about $1200 in mostly pennies... I think $100 or so of it was in nickels... I drove out of my way to a bank I rarely would go to so I wouldn't cause any real problems for myself later, just in case there was an issue. Took many trips to the car. There is an old post about it on here somewhere between Christmas and New Years a few years back.

In that case, I had just been neglecting to cash in as often as I was buying and they had slowly stacked up. The self-serve coin machine at that particular bank uses a big bin and not bags, so don't need to change as often. Still filled it up the big bin twice and part of a third time, and it was almost empty when I got there.

Highest dollar value, numerous dumps over $2000 with a few around $3000, but those were typically dimes, quarters, and/or halves so nowhere near the volume.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't dump too much at any bank no matter how good you think the relationship is. Stick to $1000 or less.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't dump too much at any bank no matter how good you think the relationship is. Stick to $1000 or less.

+1

If you haven't been going there months, and you know them and they know you, and they still smile when they see you, the relationship isn't as good as you may think it is.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Just like a toilet, if you try to dump to much toilet paper and waste at once, you'll break it. Likewise, you'll break your connection with a bank if you dump too much at one time. That $1500 I dumped in the coin counter, broke it, they never replaced it and they just look at me funny every time I go in now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread