What's new

mostly bone beads, etc.

larson1951

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
4,974
Reaction score
3,894
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this old frame of beads and some shell game pieces, etc
I don't know if I posted this before but here goes
the red ones are scoria which is found in western north dakota about 50 miles east of the montana border
the round dark ones are pipestone (only dark in the top image) because the lighting is wrong
the bone pieces with the holes drilled in the end are bracelet ends
I believe there are 2 camella shell beads (middle left)
 

Attachments

  • 100_5041.webp
    100_5041.webp
    84 KB · Views: 487
  • 100_5035.webp
    100_5035.webp
    88.4 KB · Views: 450
  • 100_5038.webp
    100_5038.webp
    95.9 KB · Views: 436
Upvote 0
I would faint, fart and fall dead if I found even a single bead. If I found all the things you find I would probably have a stroke on the spot.
 
Wow, those are beautiful. Thank you for sharing them. I have only found one little tubular bone bead and it sure looks lonely compared to all of yours, lol.
 

Attachments

  • New24.webp
    New24.webp
    233.4 KB · Views: 423
  • New24.webp
    New24.webp
    233.4 KB · Views: 380
Very nice Bone and shell Artifacts. Never get tired of seeing them,or finding them. Thanks for sharing them with us.
 
paleojoe said:
Very nice Bone and shell Artifacts. Never get tired of seeing them,or finding them. Thanks for sharing them with us.
me too
 
SoIll said:
paleojoe said:
Very nice Bone and shell Artifacts. Never get tired of seeing them,or finding them. Thanks for sharing them with us.
me too
Me three.
Newt
 
As Dorkfish stated the two seashells are Marginella shells. I'm not sure what ocean they originated from though.

The tube-shaped shells below the bracelet ends are Dentalium shells from the northwest coast, probably from the Oregon coast or Vancouver Island area. Dentalium shells were used mainly for hair and clothing ornaments.

Prehistoric trade items (shells mainly) are well documented in the Dakotas. Professionals have identified seashells from sites in the Dakotas that have come from the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Gulf of California.

The local gastropod shells we find here were also commonly used as ornaments.
 
He may have meant columella beads - made from the spherical central column of a conch shell.

I just want you to know that I hate you, Larson, Steve, and all of you who find such fine bone and shell items so easily in your area! Those are wonderful pieces and I really do enjoy seeing them. We don't really find much in the way of perishables here and I'm very jealous.
 
He may have meant columella beads - made from the spherical central column of a conch shell.

I have found one Columella shell bead, similar to the cut and drilled ones at the bottom of this pic. I think it's amazing that shells from the coasts were traded into North Dakota hundreds and thousands of years ago...
 

Attachments

  • col.webp
    col.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 205

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom