What's new

Mother Nature or Man??

jeramme

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2010
Messages
96
Reaction score
146
Golden Thread
0
Location
MN
I can't decide if this piece is worked or not...there does seem to be pecking on the angled end, and side..but hoping the experts can advise. It is approximately 3" long and about 2" wide, and was found in a known habitation area.

Thanks for your help!
 

Attachments

  • Hammerstone 1.webp
    Hammerstone 1.webp
    661.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Hammerstone 4.webp
    Hammerstone 4.webp
    733 KB · Views: 101
  • Hammerstone 3.webp
    Hammerstone 3.webp
    533.2 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0
Mother Nature no sign of pecking on it!
 
I can't decide if this piece is worked or not...there does seem to be pecking on the angled end, and side..but hoping the experts can advise. It is approximately 3" long and about 2" wide, and was found in a known habitation area.

Thanks for your help!

I find both pestles that show peck marks and pestles that have been ground and even polished with little evidence of pecking. It looks polished to me which could be natural but maybe not. If you can post a pic with the flat side down it is very reminiscent of a hoof pestle. I have a few both that show peck marks and a few ground smooth that show sufficient wear on the flat side that are not far off from the shape of yours.
 
Wish I knew more about rocks. That's A pretty nice one. Congrats
 
That's quartzite. Nice quartzite seems to get round and smooth in creeks. Gary
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom