Movie Theatre Token

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After almost a month break I'm starting to get back out. Fall is here and the weeds are starting to die. It's almost time to revisit some spots that were grown over from earlier this year.

I found this cool movie theatre token on a hillside.
Screenshot_2017-09-21-06-38-14.png
Screenshot_2017-09-21-06-38-24.png
It says "Will accept this coin as 10c on the purchase of a dollar book of tickets" on the back. Could anyone tell me how old it might be?

I also found a 1922 Pittsburgh Railways Token, 1910 & 1945 Wheaties, and 11 cents in clad. I'm soaking the Railways Token and 1910 penny. I may have an S mint mark on the 1910 or it's corrosion. I'll find out soon.

Thanks for looking. I'll be catching up on all you guys posts from the past month.

Upvote 21

Jaysix

Dec 14, 2016
Portage, pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac (current)
Garrett At Pro (previous)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome token!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NEEET TOKEN AND IM NOT JOKING.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
MH - in response to your question about how rare this token may be: If you compare the rarity of coins to that of tokens, most coins start out by being relatively dirt common in comparison. Take the 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent which is the rarest of the series. 484,000 of them were minted. The typical trade token was made in quantities of 1000 or less. Your Theater piece might be an exception with perhaps as many as 10,000 (we may never know for sure since few records survive). But here is where a lot of folks get off track. Rarity does not equal value. That is because of the law of supply and demand. Coins have a large and well-developed collector body. There a thousands of collectors interested in coins enough to pay what the supply demands. But token collectors are comparatively scarce and the market for tokens isn't very established. So, the bottom line is your token is extremely rare but would probably bring only $10 or so in an auction widely seen by token collectors.

John

Thanks for the link. I was having trouble finding a match online while googling the token. I'm curious how rare of a find this token may be. I found it near a cliff in one of Pittsburgh's many hills. It pays off to go to those hard to reach places.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
I have found that by using my left hand to cover your avatar, I can take my time to view your posts of many nice finds without having a seizure. :D Congrats on the cool token!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice token! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found that by using my left hand to cover your avatar, I can take my time to view your posts of many nice finds without having a seizure. :D Congrats on the cool token!

Hahaha sorry about that, thanks for the comment!

OP
OP
Metal Headz

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MH - in response to your question about how rare this token may be: If you compare the rarity of coins to that of tokens, most coins start out by being relatively dirt common in comparison. Take the 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent which is the rarest of the series. 484,000 of them were minted. The typical trade token was made in quantities of 1000 or less. Your Theater piece might be an exception with perhaps as many as 10,000 (we may never know for sure since few records survive). But here is where a lot of folks get off track. Rarity does not equal value. That is because of the law of supply and demand. Coins have a large and well-developed collector body. There a thousands of collectors interested in coins enough to pay what the supply demands. But token collectors are comparatively scarce and the market for tokens isn't very established. So, the bottom line is your token is extremely rare but would probably bring only $10 or so in an auction widely seen by token collectors.

John

Very insightful. That made a lot of sense. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread