Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

RMETZGER

Apr 20, 2022
Florida but looking for a farm in Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, wet and dry. I build pinpoint detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I will be moving the the Buffalo area in July and am hoping to meet up with some fellow detectorists in the area!
I have been detecting hard for several years now, not a rookie. Always more fun having buddies to detect with.
I used to live in Buffalo, Tonawanda area. Check out the Erie Canal. I researched a few battle fields in NY and PA that would be an interesting place to detect. I have checked out a few old racetracks that provided some old coinage in Florida.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I will be moving the the Buffalo area in July and am hoping to meet up with some fellow detectorists in the area!
I have been detecting hard for several years now, not a rookie. Always more fun having buddies to detect with.
from Washington to buffalo...your hunting is about change drastically. I am about 2 or 2.5 hours from buffalo. We have tons of old history around. Most of buffalos suburban sprawl seems like it would be difficult to hunt, and certain areas if still anything like they were back in my pot selling days.....are very very dangerous places. I recommend getting outside the city and suburban sprawl where you will find plenty of good spots to hunt, especially if you start asking for permissions. Old dead or dying towns litter western ny, where most of those towns had at least 3 times the current population back in the mid to late 1800s. We have the oldest oil history in the USA(first oil found in seneca springs near cuba ny in the 1600s), the erie canal, old horse tracks, the trade routes that used the lakes, native american copper culture, and the list goes on. Welcome to the east coast!

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I lived in Buffalo for a few years back in the early 80's...Hertel Ave area near Kenmore and on Vermont St, west side. There are sidewalk strips all over, very old. But as Tpmetal mentioned, many unsafe areas and I advise never hunting in the city without a partner who is not hunting, and ideally carrying concealed.

Here is a link to an online copy of the History of Buffalo and Erie County, written in 1884. It should get you started on your research.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Buffalo for a few years back in the early 80's...Hertel Ave area near Kenmore and on Vermont St, west side. There are sidewalk strips all over, very old. But as Tpmetal mentioned, many unsafe areas and I advise never hunting in the city without a partner who is not hunting, and ideally carrying concealed.

Here is a link to an online copy of the History of Buffalo and Erie County, written in 1884. It should get you started on your research.
Not sure if it has gotten better, but back in the early/mid 2000s when i would venture in that area for dumb reasons....it was among some of the highest murder rates on the east coast.... they started putting up stop sign and traffic light cameras because in certain areas people just wouldn't stop, because car jacking was so common. It was mostly confined to a few areas back then though. So easily avoidable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uscgdavis

uscgdavis

Aug 5, 2019
WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the info! I do a lot of sidewalk strips in Seattle, and have found some great stuff. However, I think New York has much better places to detect besides curb strips. Looking forward to finding old towns and getting permissions!

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
Send me a Message I will give you the Buffalo tour and if interested you can join our detecting club.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread