Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped a a location on my way down to Virginia. Sure glad I stopped at a spot a friend recommended. I dug these four buttons from a pounded field, all within 10' of one another. When I say there were no high signals in this place I mean none...pounded to death. Also there was fill everywhere besides on fertile strip between the two fill spots. All the finds came from there. These buttons showed up as 12-20/21/22, all of them. The other finds for the day was a big ol to bad button, a musketball, and some small buckles.

I posted them earlier on another post and found out they were GW's. Here were all of my finds.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445638072.505713.jpg
The heraldic eagle with 6 point estoile and square punch border is the variety. The best part is they all have their shanks.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445389874.351977.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445389941.903451.jpg for comparison
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445389963.963974.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445389984.139349.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445390011.136633.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445390035.448731.jpg
I'm over the moon. I texted Ahab, Bill D, and Vino and all confirm. Wow.
Thanks SwingBeepDig for the spot. I owe you buddy!

Sorry for the not so good pics. I'm on the road in a hotel room in Virginia.

Enjoy!

Steve

Here's the best I can do for pics. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445428445.730566.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445428455.379110.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 73
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My god! 4 of them???!!:notworthy: I'd be happy with one. That'll be a day to remember huh:rocks::rocks3::weee: Simply awesome:headbang:

Thanks Creade. These made my year. And the cob. But these have much US history behind them that they just can't be beat, even by a cob. Wow

Steve

Last edited:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing day! I know the feeling of digging 5 in one day.cloud 9! I'm voting banner! well done dude!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Amazing! 1 is a killer find, 4 is unheard of. Congrats on some stunning history.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Makes you wonder what came out to the person who was first.... but clearly he left a lot!

That was my first thought.

Great finds!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
so he says mutliple GW buttons....unbelievable dude seriously just killin it...between you and George i feel theres no need to even go out anymore...im just going to sit and watch lol....great digs man!

Lol. Thx bud. I still think I've just been getting lucky. That and Georges magic fairy dust/ground clover I dust the ground with just before I hunt.

S

swingbeepdig

That was my first thought.

Great finds!

I have been detecting this spot for quite sometime alone and uncovering a mess of 1700s-1800s coins,silver,buttons and relics and 2 gw buttons myself from this spot.The area where scrappy found the GW buttons was a part of a strip that I never put my coil into that ground .The place is huge and I knew the potential it had so I decided to share this secret with someone so that they may also find a once in lifetime relic or some sort.Everytime i would paek my truck and have my coffee at this field,i would look around the horizon a d say to myself,theres more out there and the funny thing was,there was and it was about 50 feet away from my truck where scrappy found it😁,I starred at the fire hydrant many many times😂. I didn't miss nor overlooked the area,I was eventually going to cover it one day.I am super excited that I made someone day,I love this hobby and it's been good to me.My sites and research has landed me some rewarding stuff and I have quite a few areas where even the historical books makes no mention of any revolutionary occurred but they are there waiting for me when the bushes and weeds die off.My hats to you scrappy.Happy hunting

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang Steve - I can't believe those "cruddy" flat buttons turned into a whole coat of GWs!! Absolutely amazing, and I guess you'remember still pinching yourself. Banner for sure. Can'the wait to see them later today.

That crud tricked a few of us huh?! Thanks for the banner vote Bill. It was great seeing you today and I'm glad you got to check them buttons out in person. Cheers bud

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Scrappy, you do so darn good at pounded out places it just is awesome how well you hunt.I just wish you would stop by in my neck of the woods and give me some tips.

Thx man. We all miss stuff. My friends search my sites and find stuff and vice versa. It's what keeps us always coming back!

Steve

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's not fair scrappy getting all those inaugural buttons. I think you should put some back for others to find : ) Great finds and on almost everyone's bucket list.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW, WOW, WOW! And did I say wow! Super big congrats. A GW is very high on my wish list...can't imagine digging four in one day! Congrats again! Banner vote from me too.

Thanks for the banner vote Darby. A GW inaugural button was right in the top three of my list along with a Disme and a Tree coin. Im still staring at them in disbelief;)

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to go read the original post to get the scoop but a big congrats to you Steve. That's a whole lotta history you dug!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! Unbelievable hunt Scrappy. Four in one day. Amazing!!. I seem to remember someone saying there were 5 in a set on Tnet once. But I saw some of the posts above mention there were four. I'm thinking four must be right as you found four and Heavymetalnut found four at one site once too. If I ever found more than one in the same place you'd have to strap me to a bulldozer and drag me out of there because I wouldn't go willingly. I would keep hunting until all four were in my pocket. Excellent hunt bro. Congrats to you and try to get a few better pics when you get home for the banner. I'm voting now. :notworthy:

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing day! I know the feeling of digging 5 in one day.cloud 9! I'm voting banner! well done dude!

I just looked and 5?!?!

Anyway, thanks for the banner vote. It was an amazing day but the fun is being able to come on t-net and share it with "y'all".

Cheers

Steve

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY SCRAPPY I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY , BUT YOU LUCKY DOG . DANG I HOPE TO FIND ONE OF THOSE MYSELF .....

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I realize the buttons aren't in the best of condition. But how the heck has this not gone banner yet? To me this is an amazing historic find worthy all day long of a banner spot. Way to go!!!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrap,, thanks for sharing those numbers. When I was first learning the Etrac, I dug out nothing but pull tabs on those numbers. There is a big difference between hunting a farm field and hunting a NYC park.
Congrats on an outstanding accomplishment.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting. I was curious about how they were sold and in what quantities. And yes, he must have been wearing them all! Lol
I ACTUALLY DONT THINK HE WORE THEM ALL - THINK THE CARD OR PAPER THEY WERE ATTACHED (SUPPOSEDLY HOW THEY WERE SOLD) TO WAS LOST - AND THATS WHY THEY WERE SO CLOSE TO EACH OTHER

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been detecting this spot for quite sometime alone and uncovering a mess of 1700s-1800s coins,silver,buttons and relics and 2 gw buttons myself from this spot.The area where scrappy found the GW buttons was a part of a strip that I never put my coil into that ground .The place is huge and I knew the potential it had so I decided to share this secret with someone so that they may also find a once in lifetime relic or some sort.Everytime i would paek my truck and have my coffee at this field,i would look around the horizon a d say to myself,theres more out there and the funny thing was,there was and it was about 50 feet away from my truck where scrappy found it[emoji16],I starred at the fire hydrant many many times[emoji23]. I didn't miss nor overlooked the area,I was eventually going to cover it one day.I am super excited that I made someone day,I love this hobby and it's been good to me.My sites and research has landed me some rewarding stuff and I have quite a few areas where even the historical books makes no mention of any revolutionary occurred but they are there waiting for me when the bushes and weeds die off.My hats to you scrappy.Happy hunting

Thx again George. I was all over that field with very few hits. I noticed tighter grouping in that little strip and tightened up. I gridded the section we spoke of once I tightened up more, and bingo. Funny thing was even though you didn't search that spot yet, there were no high signals or even mids. Just slaw and buttons for the entire 4 hrs. There were craters around so I assume, like you, that other detectorists were in there too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread