Mumford Texas

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The Village of Mumford, in the Brazos River bottom outside of Hearne, is surrounded by prime black farmland that is used primarily for growing cotton. Founded in 1867, the village was named for Jesse Mumford, who operated a nearby Brazos River Ferry. Mumford and fellow family members are buried across the Brazos River in Milam County at the old Mumford-Taylor Cemetery. Burial list information indicates that Jesse Mumford died 9.14.1883 at the age of 74 and was a Republic of Texas Colonist, having arrived in the Republic in 1832 with father Jeffrey and brother David, among others

Collier's Store
Collier's General Merchandise Store has served Mumford and the Brazos River bottom for roughly 120 years. The original store was built in 1884; the present building was built in 1913.

Attachments

• aaaaaa1.jpg
    aaaaaa1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,085
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa2.gif
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa2.gif
    94 KB · Views: 1,137

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Now thats right up my alley,I knew Mrs Foyt she died about 2 yrs ago. The store is now closed but the post office in Back is still open, The closed store is loaded with old stuff (even has a cellar) there are now two owners ,who are squabling over it all, so there it sits waiting to be hunted, Some great homes,potential ground is all around that place. I have heard lots of great stories about the place and its surrondings. Mrs Foyt was a Collier descendent and ran the P.O. and store for yrs after her Father died, Those whole river bottoms through there are loaded with unfound treasures,Youvseen soom I'v found in the general area.
Thanks Gypsy,How cool is that

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Just got a letter from Patty the postmaster at mumford P.O., I posted the article in Oklahoma's Sight

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
TEXAN Connection said:
Just got a letter from Patty the postmaster at mumford P.O., I posted the article in Oklahoma's Sight

Why Oklahoma? And I cant find it there either :)

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
She knows I do some treasure hunting and sent me the article, the post is titled Confederate treasure article, shes a real helpful gal, but she cant let me detect in Mumford, probaly felt sorry for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread