cobra_jet

Jan 5, 2009
Picket line, Fort Mahone
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro and Gold Bug Pro-DP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
torino.jpg

My '70 Torino Cobra. I bought this car in the Fall of 1985. I owned it until 1994 when I sold it. Feeling rather nostalgic I bought the car back last year.It actually took me several years to find the car again. When I found it, it had been completely disassembled with the drive train being completely rebuilt and the body going through a rotisserie restoration. Unfortunately, the car was never put back together and I have been putting it back together piece by piece. The pic above was taken about 1992 or so.

P1011663.jpg

The above pic is how I found the car many years later.

P1011668.jpg

The below image is where I am now on this puzzle.

P1012938.jpg

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My '64 Dodge Polara. These are very flattering pics as it's very rusty here.
I bought it about 10 years ago for $1600 in Hackensack, NJ. The folks said it was unsafe to drive and needed $1000 or more of work to make safe-at least that's what the mechanic told them. I trailered it home, popped in a piar of lower control arm bushings($10/ea.) and a set of upper control arm bushings($20/4) got an alignment and drove it for two years bfore we took it to a buddy's rod shop and tore it down for a rebuild.
Then the shop shut down and it's sat ever since.
i also have a '64 polara 500 hardtop and a wagon. All projects.

Attachments

• scan0055.jpg
    scan0055.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 847
  • scan0056.jpg
    scan0056.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 843

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man Man Man those are some fine vehicles. I had a 79 Trans Am in 94. Rebuilt the engine, shift kit in the tranny and burnt it (the transmission) up 3 weeks later. It sat up for about a year and I GAVE it away to a guy I worked with to get it out of the yard because we were moving. Stupid, stupid, stupid me. A few years before that I had a 64 ford fairlane with a sweet little 289 and 3 speed on the column. Those 289's were tough.

john

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Man these posts bring back memories! I wish I had some of that old iron I had as a kid!

I remember most of the old Mopars I bought were purchased after seeing them laying in someones backyard, 25 bucks and a promise to haul `em away asap was usually all it took. I had 12 Chargers (71-73), most were used for parts, a few sold after breathing life back into them and the last, my favorite, a 73 SE that I spent the better part of three years rebuilding from the ground up was sold just shy of completion because I bought my first house, needed the extra jingle to push that deal through.

I have an ad up on craigslist now, hoping to find a 340 rebuilder, work a lil magic then find something "fun" to stuff it in, hope I can locate one reasonably priced.

A few others I have owned:

71 340 Demon (orange on orange, neat car but a basket case, parted out)
A couple 72 Road runners
About 10 Opels, strange lil cars but the Manta was kind of neat.
One Ranchero, 71, no comment.
One 69 sport fury, 383/4bbl, roasted an awful lot of tires off that car.

There were quite a lot more I cannot remember, the tree branch we used to pull motors is still on the tree at me ex-mother inlaws house, the branch grew around the chain, a semi-permanent reminder of the good `ol days, there are days I wish I could go back.

Great post! :wink: :thumbsup:

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first car was a 1961 Pontiac Catalina, but my first new car was a 1967 Chevelle SS396. Had everything I ever wanted (at that age). It was a coupe, had dual exhausts, black bucket seats, 4 on the floor. Came with 325 HP and a Rochester Quadrajet Carb. I paid $3559 at the end of the year. I remember that the dealer wouldn't come down on his price. A lot of money for a 22 year old kid just out of the Navy.

Sure do miss that car.

SS396.jpg

(picture is borrowed from the internet)

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice cars on here. Really like that Torino. One of my favorites:

Attachments

• Billy B Cobra.jpg
    Billy B Cobra.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 801

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a 67 Baracuda. It is not pretty at the moment but it is all there. :thumbsup:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! The thing I missed about driving a muscle car is stopping at gas stations or stop lights and having other people check out your vehicle no matter how rough it looks. Any car guy appreciates an old car on the road. My new one should be a driver fairly easy but it is a long way from the paint booth. ;D

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Great cars and great memories! My first muscle car was a '67 Dodge Dart GT convertible. It was white with a dark blue roof. I put chrome slotted steel dish wheels on it, with a set of Honcho raised white letter tires.

It was actually a "mini muscle car". It had a slant six hidden under the hood, but it didn't perform like one. I did what I could to squeeze out as much performance as I could. It had allot of guys fooled too!. I stuck on one of those 3 foot long glass packs from a 383 'Cuda. I even polished the inside of that poor little one barreled carb and added a full flow mini air cleaner. It made a giant sucking sound when I floored it. I would take on some of the small V8's around, and I could pretty much hold my own with them. At least I had a good excuse if I lost. I traded it away for a '68 Dart 2 door hardtop with a 318. My six banger was a better performer.

I then found out about the magic of the slant six. Chrysler had deliberately under powered the 225 six, so that it would not compete with the small V8's. Through "Direct Connection", you could build your slant six up to be a real screamer. And the funny thing was that the more you hopped it up, the better the gas mileage you got.

Thanks for the memories!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The slant six was one of the most durable engines ever built. Man they could take the abuse of teenage drivers.LOL ;D

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
My daily driver is a 1973 Mercury Comet. I know, not muscle...whatever. It's a 70s era, factory V8 2 dr with a long hood/short deck. It fits the formula and I paid $600 for it and drove it home.
302/auto, floor shifter, buckets, tach
IMG_8161.jpg

Over the years I have owned several musclecars ranging from a beater Hemi Charger to a pristine 67 Firebird Sprint.
Heres my 78 Ranchero 500 with the souped up 302. Paid $200 for this beauty.
ranchero004.jpg

Fast and ugly, the wife hated it. She loves my Comet.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Muscle cars are lots of fun... we've got a SBF near coming out of the barn at about 300 horse which is not too bad in a Fox body Mustang. It will still be easily driveable.

Classic picture of the Mopar at the top of the thread... plugged into the pump! ;D

I kinda like those little Peel cars! Must be getting old or something.

Here's some old pics I found... autopolo from 1913 and an early 'auto dump'.

autopolo2.jpg

autopolo3.jpg

autopolo1913.jpg

cardump35.jpg

Best
rmptr

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought i would share a pic of my 1962 Nova Convertible,teal in color with lite fawn interior that i built . I am in the process of building a 1963 Nova Super Sport Convertible, which i am building from just an empty shell and building to my own liking.

Nova Treasure

Attachments

• mvc-440f.jpg
    mvc-440f.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 663
  • dsc00005.jpg
    dsc00005.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 660
  • mvc-440f.jpg
    mvc-440f.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 633

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Love seeing all these awesome cars! My first one was a 69 Charger. Second was a 66 Dodge Truck and third was a 67 Plymouth Fury. Thirty something years later and 400,000 miles still have the Charger.

Attachments

• DSC02262X.JPG
    DSC02262X.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 610

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I love your blue Charger. It is a beautiful car in all respects and you are a lucky guy to have one so nice. There is no way those engines are accurately rated. You can feel it when you stab the go pedal, you can hear it in the exhaust note.

I had a 69 Hemi Charger and I think it had WAY more than 425 horsepower. I'm guessing at least 500. I could easily catch rubber shifting into 3rd and I regularly left thick black stripes everywhere I went. It was the best thing I have ever bought in terms of value for the money. I paid $10K for it. It was rough looking but ran like a sewing machine and never failed to start or stop. The guy I sold it to had it towed instead of driving it away. He looked offended that I had been driving it daily. Mileage was unknown but it took a full tank of gas to drive it practically anywhere. You could hear the carburetors sucking when it ran.
I think Dodge could have done something more with the dash. Mine looked off center with two large gauges on the left and 4 on the right with a blank area and 4 or 5 thumb switches, pretty basic I guess for the race car look. I put a Slayer sticker under the small gauges. Man those cars drive so nice, they shift easy and feel smaller than they are when you are driving in traffic. Plus the turn signals are in the hood and flip up headlights which is always cool. Mine was a 4 speed and had the Pistol Grip Hurst shifter hooked to an 833 Hemi transmission. A bit noisy but the engine pretty much drowns out everything in the car so it didn't matter. I think the 68 Runner I had was noisier. Mine had no stripe and I think it was originally blue...it was mostly primer when I got it with some colorful fenders and panels. Wide Cragars in the back with 500s up front. I really had no idea it was such a rare car and I think the guy I got it from really needed the money because he seemed to really love it despite it's condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread