What's new

Musket Sideplate?

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2007
Messages
1,769
Reaction score
76
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Dug this AM on an older site. I'm assuming it's a piece of a sideplate to a musket.
Can anyone identify this piece and to what rifle it went to?
 

Attachments

  • Musket side plate 001.webp
    Musket side plate 001.webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 457
  • Musket side plate 002.webp
    Musket side plate 002.webp
    40.4 KB · Views: 416
  • Musket side plate 003.webp
    Musket side plate 003.webp
    73.8 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 0
Not quite the same style but close. I actually think that the detailing on the brass piece could be more like a serpent side plate. I have seen these from the very ornate, curly-Q ones to very simple snakes with no detailing.

I feel certain that it's a side plate after seeing the photos of both sides of it.

-Buck
 
Upvote 0
It's also not the original gun so that may be why.But it looks of the pennsylvania type guns to me & A. Verner - Bucks County, Pennsylvania has the closes side plates I've seen for a match. :icon_scratch:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
Anyway best I can do ya maybe someone else has a better idea.
 
Upvote 0
Timekiller said:
It's also not the original gun so that may be why.But it looks of the pennsylvania type guns to me & A. Verner - Bucks County, Pennsylvania has the closes side plates I've seen for a match. :icon_scratch:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
Anyway best I can do ya maybe someone else has a better idea.

I agree on it being a close match Pete and I appreciate your efforts.
I've been searching myself and your links are closer than any I can find.
Thanks, HB
 
Upvote 0
HILL BILLY said:
Timekiller said:
It's also not the original gun so that may be why.But it looks of the pennsylvania type guns to me & A. Verner - Bucks County, Pennsylvania has the closes side plates I've seen for a match. :icon_scratch:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
Anyway best I can do ya maybe someone else has a better idea.

I agree on it being a close match Pete and I appreciate your efforts.
I've been searching myself and your links are closer than any I can find.
Thanks, HB
No prob.I did a little more searching a came up with another gun maker up your way in winchester VA.(simon lauck).He also has quite a few guns inspired by him that looks close to your sideplate.May be your guy. :icon_scratch: Anyway he made guns from the 1790's into the 1800's.I wonder if anyone has MD'ed around this place. :laughing7: :laughing9:
http://www.phwi.org/rf/311sloudoun.html
All the best & Happy Holidays to Ya & family.
Pete, :hello:
 

Attachments

  • DSC_1602[1].webp
    DSC_1602[1].webp
    143 KB · Views: 577
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom