Detector(s) used
White's MXT 10x6 DD
White's beach hunter ID 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why everyone keeps talking up this machine when it is a design Wreck of a thing,

1) You Still can't run it on the beach with the Gain above "3",

2) WHITES Claim that the MXS (Now) Air Tests a Quarter at 12 inches in the pin point mode and Before the Update it pin pointed to about 6 to 7 inches, where as the MXT is almost double that, So baring in mind that the Pin Point Mode is the most Powerful Mode on a Detector How on Earth is it going to find Deeper Coins/Targets if it Can't Pin Point Past 12 Inches In the ( AIR ), Answer ? IT WON'T.

3) Why On Gods Earth did they put the Headphone Socket facing Forwards on the back of the meter box, So when you sweep the coil under bushes and low Trees where it can get snagged up on Branches and such, It Needs to be placed at the back out of the way,

4) Now there has been many reports of the corners of the Pod Cracking, Some have even had Cracks that have been found during the unboxing of the machine.

It seems that everyone who has bought one has to make it out to be better than it really is rather than admit that they have bought a Lemon or failure, I have done back to back tests last month using the MXS and the MXT All Pro the difference is Night and Day, The Sensitivity is set in hyper Land on the MXS so you can not turn it up, It seems they who designed it have misinterpreted the Sensitivity to Gain Ratio, So you can not run full Gain because it is over sensitive and "IF" you can't turn the Gain up then you are loosing Depth which is why In the Pin Point Mode that it can Only See a Quarter at 12" Inches. How many folks here have dug coins between the 12 to 14+ inches with there MXS ? Answer NONE, Because if it can not Pin Point past 12 Inches then it will NEVER see them any Deeper PERIOD.

As a dedicated Whites User, I find the marketing we have been told to be very Economic and offensive, And Even after I proved it to many that the claims in the Whites Videos were Not So by posting my Own Videos regarding the Recovery Speed of the MXT where they said the MXT could not see the coin if it was within 6 inches of the Nail and the fact is when they did there Video they also switched modes on the MXT because it only made one Tone and the fact is it was signalling on the Coin and NOT the Nail because if they had done it in the Relic mode you would of had 2 Tones ring out Low for the Nail and High for the Quarter, So that tells me they switched to C&J and if you watch the Video you will see that they had the DISC set to around "4" which means the MXT would not have made a sound on the Nail and the fact is the signal heard on the Video is in fact the signal from the Coin.

I urge you people to just tell it like it is, you won't loose face and people will respect you because you would have saved them from making a costly mistake, I put about 120 hours in on testing the MXS Vs the MXT All Pro and like I said they are Night and Day.

I hope you folks that have them already keep Whites on their toes because even this latest software version is still way off the mark and I Know you all deserve better.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why everyone keeps talking up this machine when it is a design Wreck of a thing,

1) You Still can't run it on the beach with the Gain above "3",

2) WHITES Claim that the MXS (Now) Air Tests a Quarter at 12 inches in the pin point mode and Before the Update it pin pointed to about 6 to 7 inches, where as the MXT is almost double that, So baring in mind that the Pin Point Mode is the most Powerful Mode on a Detector How on Earth is it going to find Deeper Coins/Targets if it Can't Pin Point Past 12 Inches In the ( AIR ), Answer ? IT WON'T.

3) Why On Gods Earth did they put the Headphone Socket facing Forwards on the back of the meter box, So when you sweep the coil under bushes and low Trees where it can get snagged up on Branches and such, It Needs to be placed at the back out of the way,

4) Now there has been many reports of the corners of the Pod Cracking, Some have even had Cracks that have been found during the unboxing of the machine.

It seems that everyone who has bought one has to make it out to be better than it really is rather than admit that they have bought a Lemon or failure, I have done back to back tests last month using the MXS and the MXT All Pro the difference is Night and Day, The Sensitivity is set in hyper Land on the MXS so you can not turn it up, It seems they who designed it have misinterpreted the Sensitivity to Gain Ratio, So you can not run full Gain because it is over sensitive and "IF" you can't turn the Gain up then you are loosing Depth which is why In the Pin Point Mode that it can Only See a Quarter at 12" Inches. How many folks here have dug coins between the 12 to 14+ inches with there MXS ? Answer NONE, Because if it can not Pin Point past 12 Inches then it will NEVER see them any Deeper PERIOD.

As a dedicated Whites User, I find the marketing we have been told to be very Economic and offensive, And Even after I proved it to many that the claims in the Whites Videos were Not So by posting my Own Videos regarding the Recovery Speed of the MXT where they said the MXT could not see the coin if it was within 6 inches of the Nail and the fact is when they did there Video they also switched modes on the MXT because it only made one Tone and the fact is it was signalling on the Coin and NOT the Nail because if they had done it in the Relic mode you would of had 2 Tones ring out Low for the Nail and High for the Quarter, So that tells me they switched to C&J and if you watch the Video you will see that they had the DISC set to around "4" which means the MXT would not have made a sound on the Nail and the fact it the signal heard on the Video is in fact the signal from the Coin.

I urge you people to just tell it like it is, you won't loose face and people will respect you because you would have saved them from making a costly mistake, I put about 120 hours in on testing the MXS Vs the MXT All Pro and like I said they are Night and Day.

I hope you folks that have them already keep Whites on their toes because even this latest software version is still way off the mark and I Know you all deserve better.

So other than that, how do you like the machine?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bit of a contrast between the original Andy review isn't it????? thanks a-sweeper

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So other than that, how do you like the machine?

Personally with a few Tweaks the MXS could be perfect, Move the jack plug to the rear and Balance the sensitivity to be Progressive as the Gain is increased and it would be a Great machine, But dumping all that Sensitivity out the coil too early is makes the Gain control Un-useable, And I am sure that it behaves like the pre-Amp on a Guitar Amp where it is overdriving the Circuit too early and if this was corrected then Not only would you be able to use all the Gain but you would have better Target ID and a more stable VDI Readings and Dig less Trash.

hope this helps.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally with a few Tweaks the MXS could be perfect, Move the jack plug to the rear and Balance the sensitivity to be Progressive as the Gain is increased and it would be a Great machine, But dumping all that Sensitivity out the coil too early is makes the Gain control Un-useable, And I am sure that it behaves like the pre-Amp on a Guitar Amp where it is overdriving the Circuit too early and if this was corrected then Not only would you be able to use all the Gain but you would have better Target ID and a more stable VDI Readings and Dig less Trash.

hope this helps.

I was trying to inject a little humor into the subject with my reply since you seemed to be genuinely PO'd at Whites for the MXS rollout. However, I am glad you that you chose to answer my question in a serious manner. I sent my MXS off for the upgrade/fix after having only put a few hours into the machine as it appeared they had gotten a handle on their turnaround issues and further tweaks were not being mentioned. I have not had a chance to get much quality time in with the machine since I got it back from Whites. My perspective on the machine is a little different than yours since I did not have direct MXT experience and therefore had little preconceived notions on performance. I did, however, fall prey to the notion that the MXS was a repackaged MXT All Pro with updated electronics and programming with the added benefit of being a weatherproof/wading machine that could rival the AT Pro. I was impressed with a hunting partner's relic recovery performance using an MXT in challenging soil conditions so I thought I would take a chance on the MXS, which Whites was touting as continuing the MX line legacy (uh, yeah). Besides, I liked the large, readable panel layout vs. the AT Pro and the AM and relic programs. To be honest, I was not that concerned with Depth performance or recovery speed but I also did not find that they were lacking performance attributes even upon initial use with the new, unmodified MXS. If I needed a machine for challenging, trashy conditions or needed extraordinary depth performance, I could always turn to my XP Deus (best all around machine), ATX (depth and PI resilience in bad soil), or F75 (great recovery and coil options for coin shooting vs. the Deus) as the situation warranted. The MXS filled the bill as a good all around machine that was waterproof, VLF, and light (i.e., definitely not an ATX). After some lackluster hunts, I decided to send it in for its upgrade.

I agree with you that it is no MXT based on what I have seen and experienced and am frankly seriously looking at possibly getting an MXT for relic hunting. Since I have the luxury of having specific machines for specific purposes, the MXS lack of performance at the very fringes of detector capability (deep target detection, insane recovery speed) do not disappoint me, but I understand your frustration based on what Whites purported to deliver with the MXS (their constant nods to the MXT legacy in the promotional materials). However, I do find your discussion of how Whites may be overdriving the coil sensitivity gain to be something that I would like to explore further because you may be on to something. Based on your passionate response backed up by first hand experience, significant hours spent on the MXS (vs. those that chose to return the thing after one or two outings) and details spelled out in your posts, I believe you are not out to just bash the MXS but really want Whites to address the issues. However, you may continue to be disappointed by the reviews of those first time Whites users (like me!) or those getting an MXS as their first or second detector as they will not have your perspective with other Whites machines such as the MXT so it is unlikely that they will give it poor reviews since I don't think it was necessarily unusable out of the box even with the first version of firmware. In other words, the "honest" reviews praising the machine may be coming from folks that are truly happy with their MXS experience or do not know what they may be missing because they have not experienced the performance variations that come from using a variety of detectors. Also, there may be some who DO have experience with both the MXT and MXS and enjoy both machines. A prominent TNET poster who likes to link to their poipular You Tube MD videos are avid Whites users and have nothing but good things to say about both machines. So go figure. I do plan to do some air tests to see how the gain adjust drives depth performance to see if it is "plateauing out" starting with mid gain settings. This may indeed be the issue that is causing your machine to not be usable in salt water above Gain=3. Take care and thanks for taking the time to get your first hand experience based info on the MXS out to forum.

Last edited:

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying to inject a little humor into the subject with my reply since you seemed to be genuinely PO'd at Whites for the MXS rollout. However, I am glad you that you chose to answer my question in a serious manner. I sent my MXS off for the upgrade/fix after having only put a few hours into the machine as it appeared they had gotten a handle on their turnaround issues and further tweaks were not being mentioned. I have not had a chance to get much quality time in with the machine since I got it back from Whites. My perspective on the machine is a little different than yours since I did not have direct MXT experience and therefore had little preconceived notions on performance. I did, however, fall prey to the notion that the MXS was a repackaged MXT All Pro with updated electronics and programming with the added benefit of being a weatherproof/wading machine that could rival the AT Pro. I was impressed with a hunting partner's relic recovery performance using an MXT in challenging soil conditions so I thought I would take a chance on the MXS, which Whites was touting as continuing the MX line legacy (uh, yeah). Besides, I liked the large, readable panel layout vs. the AT Pro and the AM and relic programs. To be honest, I was not that concerned with Depth performance or recovery speed but I also did not find that they were lacking performance attributes even upon initial use with the new, unmodified MXS. If I needed a machine for challenging, trashy conditions or needed extraordinary depth performance, I could always turn to my XP Deus (best all around machine), ATX (depth and PI resilience in bad soil), or F75 (great recovery and coil options for coin shooting vs. the Deus) as the situation warranted. The MXS filled the bill as a good all around machine that was waterproof, VLF, and light (i.e., definitely not an ATX). After some lackluster hunts, I decided to send it in for its upgrade.

I agree with you that it is no MXT based on what I have seen and experienced and am frankly seriously looking at possibly getting an MXT for relic hunting. Since I have the luxury of having specific machines for specific purposes, the MXS lack of performance at the very fringes of detector capability (deep target detection, insane recovery speed) do not disappoint me, but I understand your frustration based on what Whites purported to deliver with the MXS (their constant nods to the MXT legacy in the promotional materials). However, I do find your discussion of how Whites may be overdriving the coil sensitivity gain to be something that I would like to explore further because you may be on to something. Based on your passionate response backed up by first hand experience, significant hours spent on the MXS (vs. those that chose to return the thing after one or two outings) and details spelled out in your posts, I believe you are not out to just bash the MXS but really want Whites to address the issues. However, you may continue to be disappointed by the reviews of those first time Whites users (like me!) or those getting an MXS as their first or second detector as they will not have your perspective with other Whites machines such as the MXT so it is unlikely that they will give it poor reviews since I don't think it was necessarily unusable out of the box even with the first version of firmware. In other words, the "honest" reviews praising the machine may be coming from folks that are truly happy with their MXS experience or do not know what they may be missing because they have not experienced the performance variations that come from using a variety of detectors. Also, there may be some who DO have experience with both the MXT and MXS and enjoy both machines. A prominent TNET poster who likes to link to their poipular You Tube MD videos are avid Whites users and have nothing but good things to say about both machines. So go figure. I do plan to do some air tests to see how the gain adjust drives depth performance to see if it is "plateauing out" starting with mid gain settings. This may indeed be the issue that is causing your machine to not be usable in salt water above Gain=3. Take care and thanks for taking the time to get your first hand experience based info on the MXS out to forum.

To be honest I really did get stuck in to Whites when the MXS was first released, But when I thought about it and I was approaching it from the wrong angle So last month I decided to put my Demons to rest once and for all, So with that a friend agreed to loan me his machine, I agree with you about the Deus they are incredible machines But I do not own one.

Having read Andy's report and many others I wanted give it a workout for myself, Andy wrote a very fair and forgiving report So hats off to him for that, My issues started with some of the Wild Claims from Whites and with what owners were saying and with Andy's report there ended up with many mixed reviews, So I made a list of what people were saying and then tried to replicate the same issues and once I worked out that some options did not work in all screens/modes I set out to do just recovery and depth tests, I marked all the targets with my MXT A/P 10"DD and then tried the MXS to compare the signals, One thing I noticed was in junk site if I got a good signal say as I was swinging to the left or right if there was junk close to it, It would not give a signal when sweeping back the other way, So when I rechecked the signal with the MXT I got the signal both ways, THIS did not happen always but enough to make me Cuss inside,

With the MXT the machine gets real Hot when you up the Gain in to the Hash area on the dial So after about 10-+2 on the Dial the MXT starts to chatter slightly But with the MXS it starts to do this around 6 to 7 ish and at 8 you can hear it and going up to 9 or 10 is not an option, This is why I said about lowering the internal sensitivity a fraction to allow you to use more Gain So the machine does not overdrive the signals because it does cause it to miss ID bottle caps and some bits of Iron as Coins, I don't bother with Beach detecting but I thought I would try it out, Anyway I found 3 to be the comfort zone on the MXS but 4 was pushing my luck and it started to annoy me so I put it back to 3 for the quiet life and then called it a day because again the sensitivity is set that high that the Salt sends it through the roof.

Bottom line is If they lower that internal Sensitivity setting and it will allow you to use more of the gain just like you can with the MXT, Which is why I compared it to a Guitar Amp because when you turn the Pre Amp up then add the Volume it causes a natural warmth where the Guitar starts to distort But where people like that in music, it has an Adverse effect on a Metal Detector So by lowering the Sensitivity ( Pre Amp ) it will not overload the signal allowing the machine to ID Targets correctly, Another thing that comes to mind is that if you can't run it at High Gain settings then what is the point of having them because I used it for as long as I did and the whole time it was bugging me because it was there but I could not use it, and that in it's self was a cause of resentment, This One Bug if it was put right it would cure 99% of the Issues with the machine Because the sensitivity is way too high at low Gain settings. From what I see 8 maybe 9 should be where the machine starts to get Hot and as I said that would not only fix ID problems but also make it more useable on the Beach,

Hope this helps because I did not want to just Rip in to the MXS without offering something in return So to speak, Because I know with these changes it could be incredible,

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone heard that secret word (RECALL) coming from that community in Oregon???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread