MX Sport users and buyers...info from Whites

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info to know for those considering getting this detector. Whites says detectors manufactured after 3/24 will have the updated firmware. So you may want to find out from your dealer when they can expect to get an updated unit. For those who already have the MX Sport or who, like me, have one on the way, it looks like Whites has the customer covered all the way with a free two-way shipping for a firmware update in the event the minor issue in question (locking on adjacent targets) is causing a problem for the customer.

Andy Sabisch tested this machine and had favorable things to say about it. In the thread that I reviewed with Andy participating actively, it appears the issue was noted but certainly not something that would make the detector unusable out of the box. Like I said, I have one on order and anyone else in a similar boat, I would recommend putting the machine through its paces enough to get to learn the machine (i.e., go on a few outings not just run it through your test garden), see if the issue in question is a problem for you, see if there are any other glitches, see if more problems come to light, and then go ahead an send the unit in for the latest firmware upgrade, if desired. Whites is standing behind their product, fixing any discovered issues ASAP, and supporting their customer base all the way. What more can you ask for?

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am not going to lie.
I am not to happy to have to send it back.
Lucky I still have my CTX to use.
I guess they are getting some bad Karma for cutting up Garrett in their videos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnsharpshooter

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understand that.

One reason I posted--- I don't think anyone wants to buy just to have to send back. Granted it seems the detector is useable in originally config-- but who wouldn't want a proper detector??

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad thing is I did notice some of the things they are complaining about but didn't dare post it in fear of being told I was crazy.
Audiomod doesn't seem to really work except for the last 2 inches like the guy posted and they didn't mention a fix for that in the patch. I thought maybe it was just me in my quick test so didn't say anything.
Well I emailed for a Shipping Label I just hoped they would try to look into all complaints before rushing a "FIX" out. Because I don't want to keep shipping it back and forth and be a BETA tester for them.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exactly why I am likely going to hold off on sending my unit back to see if any more issues get ironed out with subsequent updates.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW, I am seeing the single hit tone issue on a buried quarter in my test garden. At one angle, I get a hit on the forward and reverse swing. At the 90 degree angle, I only hear the tone on the reverse swing. I am going to have to make sure that there is not some sort of previously unidentified nearby metal (buried adjacent trash, low garden fencing) that might be affecting detector recovery or sensitivity at that swing angle. Need to do some side-by-side testing with other detectors on that target to see if there is similar behavior. Then I might try to set up other known targets to see if I can replicate the issue.

jbrick

Oct 5, 2015
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
MX Sport, CoinmasterGT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a quick 1 hour hunt yesterday behind an old school. Found many clad coins in the 3-5" range. I am somewhat new to metal detecting. I purchased the MXSport as an upgrade to my Coinmaster GT. I really like the machine, I feel like I am getting much more depth out of the unit. I definetly want to send mine in for the firmware upgrade but I would like to hold off as well to see if there is any other fixes.

Is anyone able to help me understand what the current firmware fixes? It helps with targets in close proximity? What would I notice different with my MXSport if I were to mail it in for the update? Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi Jonathan,

the update will make the tones "shorter". This is helpful if several targets are extremely close to each other - 1-2 inches apart. If targets are close, the first tone may not finish as you pass over the next target. If the first tone isn't finished, you may not get the second tone because you may be past it in your swing. If you feel you are finding plenty of good targets at depth, I might suggest waiting until a few get their units back for a comparison. Part of the reason for longer tones is to get targets at maximum depth to respond.

The MX Sport should be a great improvement on depth to your Coinmaster GT.

Wayne

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put 3 coins on the ground each 3 inches away from each other and got blending. I bought the MXS for its so called recovery speed for trashy sites I hunt which seem to be most in New England.
My CTX did better then the MXS and everyone knows the Recovery on minelabs are pretty slow.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put 3 coins on the ground each 3 inches away from each other and got blending. I bought the MXS for its so called recovery speed for trashy sites I hunt which seem to be most in New England.
My CTX did better then the MXS and everyone knows the Recovery on minelabs are pretty slow.

Did you do the test in high trash mode or Coins and Jewelry? I believe that high trash might have a higher recovery response. Also, the smaller dd accessory coil will likely help vs. the stock coil for target separation (I know that's additional cost, but using right tools for the job at hand applies). Regardless, send the unit back for the fix to address the issue, completely on Whites dime. Problem resolved. Since Whites has a fix I think the problem is less about the MXS recovery performance than a poor implementation of target audible response that is masking the detectors' true recovery response. With the CTX available in your arsenal, you shouldn't miss a beat while Whites is upgrading the MXS. In fact. the MXS might not be worth the trip since you already have a CTX. Looking for great recovery speed, I recommend a Deus or Fisher F75 DST.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT pro or Gold will separate targets closer than 3" with a fast or slow swing speed and using stock or 5x8 coils.....no "special" settings needed. I was told that I didn't know what I was talking about when I said this new Whites was not an improvement over the Garrett machines a month ago; but seems now its become common knowledge.....

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT pro or Gold will separate targets closer than 3" with a fast or slow swing speed and using stock or 5x8 coils.....no "special" settings needed. I was told that I didn't know what I was talking about when I said this new Whites was not an improvement over the Garrett machines a month ago; but seems now its become common knowledge.....

As much as i love Whites and wish them well they botches this up. I wanted a waterproof unit that is faster than the AT-Pro, deeper and better all around but this MXS isn't it in some of those categories apparently.

Last edited:

jbrick

Oct 5, 2015
Ocean City, Maryland
Detector(s) used
MX Sport, CoinmasterGT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an MXSport and I think it gets great depth, as far as the recovery speed I believe the firmware update fixed that. I still need to mail mine in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nothing special about it, its just a mode setting that provides enhanced recovery like FA mode on the F75. Look, I own an AT Pro (and an ATX for that matter) so this is not a Whites vs. Garrett (vs. FTP vs. Minelab vs. XP) thing for me (I own or have owned them all), and the only reason I am looking at the MXS is to see if it is better physically balanced than the ATP in a watertight package. I am personally willing to take some variation in performance vs. the ATP if it delivers on that front. It works, for me, out of the box from am electronics standpoint, so far, but still testing it to see if I can swing it for long durations and to see if it falls down under specific situations. If the firmware makes it even better, then gravy. Jury is still out for me until I put it through its paces. Then I will decide to keep it or send it in for the fix. I am having trouble understanding the brand vs brand/model vs model posturing that is dominating the discussion of this model. To me, it is somewhat irrelevant. No one is forcing anyone to give up their favorite machine to go buy an MXS. And just because someone does go and get an MXS, not sure why they have to be told, well you don't have to do that with my favorite detector, so Whites blew it. It makes no sense to me.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing special about it, its just a mode setting that provides enhanced recovery like FA mode on the F75. Look, I own an AT Pro (and an ATX for that matter) so this is not a Whites vs. Garrett (vs. FTP vs. Minelab vs. XP) thing for me (I own or have owned them all), and the only reason I am looking at the MXS is to see if it is better physically balanced than the ATP in a watertight package. I am personally willing to take some variation in performance vs. the ATP if it delivers on that front. It works, for me, out of the box from am electronics standpoint, so far, but still testing it to see if I can swing it for long durations and to see if it falls down under specific situations. If the firmware makes it even better, then gravy. Jury is still out for me until I put it through its paces. Then I will decide to keep it or send it in for the fix. I am having trouble understanding the brand vs brand/model vs model posturing that is dominating the discussion of this model. To me, it is somewhat irrelevant. No one is forcing anyone to give up their favorite machine to go buy an MXS. And just because someone does go and get an MXS, not sure why they have to be told, well you don't have to do that with my favorite detector, so Whites blew it. It makes no sense to me.
The problem is Whites went after Garrett directly when they posted videos of them comparing their new machine to the AT series directly.....furthermore, this "new" machine brings nothing "new" to the table.....its the same crap we have seen for the last 8 or 10 years.....only difference is Whites has "finally" answered the notch for a waterproof machine to compare with the Garrett AT series. I really thought something was coming to take the place of my AT pro.....NOT! I don't care who buys one of these machines, but it is not what Whites led many to believe it was. Good Luck to all who have purchased one!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is Whites went after Garrett directly when they posted videos of them comparing their new machine to the AT series directly.....furthermore, this "new" machine brings nothing "new" to the table.....its the same crap we have seen for the last 8 or 10 years.....only difference is Whites has "finally" answered the notch for a waterproof machine to compare with the Garrett AT series. I really thought something was coming to take the place of my AT pro.....NOT! I don't care who buys one of these machines, but it is not what Whites led many to believe it was. Good Luck to all who have purchased one!

Like i said, I was really looking for a more physically balanced waterproof machine vs. the AT pro/gold, I was OK without a big delta in electronic features. I think I may have found that. You seem pretty disappointed, if not outright offended by Whites. Just to be clear, I am not trying to be argumentative or start something. Just legitimately want to know if you are just offended that Whites dissed Garrett without justification or are disappointed that they did not deliver the goods. Regarding the latter, what was on your wish list that Whites did not deliver with the MXS? I want to know whether I should be disappointed because Whites missed an opportunity. And to keep the detector at the present price point (which is admittedly higher than the AT pro/gold at present) I personally was not looking for a waterproof VX3 or V3i (I don't think you were either, from what I can tell). Finally, I don't consider the firmware update issue to be significant, based on my tests and experience with it so far. I may not even bother to get the update. I am taking the MXS to Red Dut land tomorrow for some VA relic hunting to see what it can do against a relic wizard who swings an MXT. Really interested in hearing back on what Whites should have done to make the MXS an AT Pro killer. Thanks.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, obviously a dual or multi frequency machine would have been nice and I would have jumped right on that....but recovery speed was a big disappointment for me. With todays technology this machine should not be this slow. Seems like a 10 year old machine to me....but looks great. I like the looks/design just not the performance! I was very disappointed to see another foreign made machine (Racer 2) have such better performance. I try to buy and support American companies like Whites, etc. but when they skimp like they did no the MX Sport they should expect to lose business to these over seas companies who are producing real results with their fast, deep, high tech machines. And its not just Whites, Tesoro has been "talking" about something new for a couple years now and so far has not brought anything to the table! American companies are just too greedy and don't want to give up any profits. They want to keep making the same old stuff or even cheapen it up and still sale for a fairly high retail price. The MX sport should sale for the same price as the AT pro and not a penny more! There is no new features here to command a higher price of $750.00. I really want to see a multi-freq. machine that is waterproof but not aimed for just waterhunting and a little easier to operate than the V3i......oh well, wait and see I guess.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you, but I think a multifreq would come in at an even higher price point. I can't really say at this point whether the MXS is worth the price premium vs. The AT Pro/Gold based on performance, I can only say that it delivers on features that work better for me than the AT regarding balance and the large display. Better value than the AT? Probably not, but if I can swing the detector without a bungee or harness, then it is worth it to me. Regarding recovery on the MXS, I have found it to be good (and I own a Deus) and with the elliptical sniper coil, I have not found tone smearing to be a problem with adjacent targets based on a surface target test I conducted with three different coins spced about 2-3" apart. Maybe FTP will respond with a waterproof/multifreq F75 or Omega oŕ T2 variant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions