MXT Coil for gold ?

ingram4868

Jan 16, 2014
Sparks, NV
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's Coinmaster, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Garrett-Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to take the MXT out for the first time to search for a little gold. I have the standard 9.5 coil and the Eclipse Shooter "DD" (4x6) Search Coil. would one of these two perform better than the other when prospecting? Is there a better coil for gold?

Thanks guys
David

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would say the DD.
How hot is your ground there.

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bury a small lead fishing sinker or a Jefferson nickel at 4 inches in mineralized ground and see which coil picks up the targets. Use a small nugget if you have one. MXT's have found a lot of nuggets. Fines and flake not so much. VLF machines from 48-71
KHz are more responsive to fines even at 1-2 inches. If your finding shotgun lead pellets then if gold is there you have a chance if you get color under your coil.HH

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I were headed out with my MXT for prospecting, I'd take the 4X6DD for crevicing, and the 6X10DD for more open ground and probably take the 5.3 along just because I have it.
luvsdux

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your 950 will penetrate deeper and hit gold your smaller coil may miss. The 950 will hit gold as small as one grain, how much smaller do you want but at that size Im scooping the sand and panning, hit the inside bends and high water makes of where the river once was and you may be surprised to find the best gold is not in the river.

Smoker

Greenie
Feb 28, 2014
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Will,
Notice that you have a Whites All Pro MXT. Anyway....I have an choice to make, on a detector....Whites GMT for $749, Whites MXT for $719, or the MXT All Pro with a 10" DD coil and a 9" Mono coil for $829....I know that I will get one of them, my question is to you, what is the best deal as with the GMT or the MXT, I would most likely end up spending extra for a coil. Appreciate any advice you may have. Also mainly will be prospecting although will use for coins and jewelry also.....thanks much Rascus

Smoker

Greenie
Feb 28, 2014
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Will,
Notice that you have a Whites All Pro MXT. Anyway....I have an choice to make, on a detector....Whites GMT for $749, Whites MXT for $719, or the MXT All Pro with a 10" DD coil and a 9" Mono coil for $829....I know that I will get one of them, my question is to you, what is the best deal as with the GMT or the MXT, I would most likely end up spending extra for a coil. Appreciate any advice you may have. Also mainly will be prospecting although will use for coins and jewelry also.....thanks much Rascus

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If your ONLY want the detector for prospecting than the gmt is better than the mxt, now if you plan to do both prospecting, and eventually coinshooting the mxt is the way to go. The mxt can pick up very tiny gold and still is a great machine for finding coins. The best coil for prospecting would be the 4x6. Now other coils will work but not on the smallest gold. The mxt IS one of the best multitasking detectors out there, maybe the do deus is the only other one... For me not even the v3i comes close to the performance of the mxt. Now the most incredible thing is that it does great in a very simple package... You can't ask more than that....

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I have to agreee - the MXT does it all really well, coins, jewelry, relics and prospecting. I would get the MXT Pro with the D2 DD (if you're not doing the beach and a smaller coil for prospecting). You'll everything you will need and it will be built like a tank.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Ingram, I'm a bit late responding to this thread, but I work for a competitor nowadays and don't pay much attention to other forums.

In this thread I've seen some good advice and some bad advice. No point in regurgitating the aliases.

I designed the MXT a bit over 10 years ago, working closely with the legendary "Jimmy Sierra". Did we do a good job? Well, here were are 12 years later and nobody has said yet that we screwed up.

The MXT's response characteristics were developed around the 10 inch DD elliptical. I hated the 9.5 concentric but that was what White's decided would sell at the time. For small gold, the 4x6 DD would theoretically be the best searchcoil, although I haven't used it myself since it didn't exist at the time.

Go 10 inch DD or smaller if you're shooting for the small stuff, which is almost always the best strategy using a VLF in the USA anyhow. The big stuff has been picked over for decades.

Wishing you the best,

--Dave J.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Hey Woof,

I love my MXT Plus which came with the 12" coil. This is great for me as I do almost 100% beach detecting. On most beaches the machine will run stable on wet sand at the factory suggested sensitivity (roughly 9). Some beaches can be difficult though and I have a real hard time keeping it stable without lowering the sensitivity to 50-60%.........with the 12" coil, can I still effectively hunt at such low sensitivity in wet / low tide sand?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread