MXT or MXT Pro?

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pro has 3 nice features not found on the MXT. The backlight for hunting in low light conditions, The Ground Grab which instantly re-ground balances the detector, and Tone ID. I personally much prefer the MXT Pro as I usually hunt with Tone ID.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Basically the big difference is the tone id. The ground grab can be done with the mxt as well but in a different way, the backlight is usefull just at night and for that matter you will need a headlamp so no big advantage ether. Tone ID I think it's the biggest plus and just for that it makes it worth the extra $$$

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We better mention the biggest difference. The MXT normally comes with the 9.5" coil and the MXT Pro comes with the 12" (300mm) coil. The price difference in the coils alone accounts for the $100 price difference in the two detectors. I do like the features on the MXT Pro but fact is either machine will get the same target with the same coil. I like the 12" coil for open area sparse target situations but frankly the first thing I would do if getting an MXT Pro would be to also get a smaller coil. The 950 coil on the MXT is probably a more practical coil out of the box for most people. But it of course all depends what you intend on doing with the detector.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well my personal experience is that the 300 coil isn't very useful unless in open areas with no trash. Best coil in my opinion is the 10x6 dd.

shortcut

Apr 21, 2009
N.W. Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, XP Deus, MXT ALL Pro, Racer, T2 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MXT Pro can be purchased with either the 12" or the 9.5 coil from the dealer

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MXT Pro can be purchased with either the 12" or the 9.5 coil from the dealer

I actually visited the dealer this morning and the litature I got stated that very thing. I think I'm going to order the MXT Pro with the 950. I know the 12 will probably get deeper, but most of the areas I'm going to be hunting are pretty trashy and have been hunted my be with my Prizm III and my Tejon, so I need something that will cut through the trash better. I will probably pick up the 10X6 DD as well for the even trashier spots.

PTP

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes the MXT Pro with the 950 coil is a big seller. Later pick up the 6x10. Or the 4x6.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen so many MXT Pros with 12" coils I had fallen into thinking it was the only way they came stock. Thanks for the correction. I was just throwing it as for consideration as I do think the Pro is worth the extra just for the tones and the grab button. I'm thinking of picking up another one myself but knowing me I will probably pop for the 12" and a 6x10 DD right off the bat. I already have a 950, D2 and 5.3 for my DFX and V3i so that would fill some gaps.

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the PRO. yOu will instantly learn the tone ID on this machine. You will never go back. Just learn the VDI numbers which can be found on youtube.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't often post in other companies' forums, since I work for "the company in El Paso" these days. But once in a while I'll notice a thread that looks interesting and more rarely even post in it. Here goes.

Back in the late 1990's and very early 20th century, the MXT was developed around the 10x6 elliptical DD. When you're used to that searchcoil, stick a 950 on and the 950 feels downright clumsy with its muddy response and bad masking characteristics. Downright insufferable. The 950 searchcoil geometry was designed for completely different platforms.

But, if you ask "does the 950 work?", well, yeah, it does.

Wrong question.

I ain't gonna knock the MXT, it may be an old platform but it still works good. More than 10 years after, if you demand "ground tracking" (not that I say you should demand that), the GMT/MXT have the best in the industry. Not even Minelab (!) denies that! And as far as I know, the MXT/GMT are the only VLF-IB machines on the market with active transmitter regulation that makes it possible to work (with reduced performance) in heavy magnetite black sand, a circumstance otherwise left up to PI's. We're talking very good machines here. They may be a bit old in the tooth, but this is an industry that takes time to weed the turnips out of the beet patch. Ain't like celfonz where in 6 months the whole world has decided what kyckes and what szux. It takes time to deliver good beep verdict.

MXT. 10x6DD is the foundation. Everything else is an accessory. I am telling you this because if you are a White's loyalist, I want you to spend that extra buck, the folks in Sweet Home are my friends!

My own marketing dept. will try to kill me for this post (if they discover it), but don't worry, I've been in this a lot longer than they have, it'll all come out okay.

As we say in the Southwest,

"Servidor de Vdes." My mission in life is servitude hopefully of the competent sort.

--Dave J.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell the people in marketing that my respect jumps up exponentially for the company that allows the people working for it to advance the interests of the end users above everything else. That is an extremely useful bit of information coming from you Dave, sure to be appreciated by many. I know I do appreciate it very much. For First Texas to keep a lid on that kind of generous information would be petty and I for one am sure they will live up to the higher ideal. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread