MXT Problem

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Went on a hunt today and pulled out the MXT and turned it on. Nothing other than faint bars across the top and when you turn it off an audio chirp. Other than that there is no other response. Has new batteries and everything looks good. I've always stored it in the Whites bag in the house. This unit probably has less than 30 total hours on it. Just curious if anyone has run into this before I call Whites.

try taking the batteries out, turning it on for a few minutes with no batts, and then putting the batteries back in and turn it on.

Make sure the pin pointer switch is in the center position sometimes you can knock it forward and the detector will act the way you describe.

I've done the above with no success. I've been so preoccupied with the forum changes lately I failed to notice whether or not we have a White's rep here on the forum. Do we, but if not would I be best served to call the factory or the service center?
Thanks!

is it still under warranty if it is send it.

White's has AWESOME customer service.. Give them a call. If you have a facebook page, I know they have one as well and answer a lot of technical questions there.

The other thing to try is if the batteries are making correct contact down in the control box. If they are not then you should spot slight pitting on the contacts on the outside of the battery box (or rechargable pack). If there's pitting then allowing the packs to slide down has caused a problem. The impact as they drop down bends one or other of the contact "prongs" . You can either return to Whites or open the control box to bend them a fraction to the correct position or do the quick fix with a tie wrap used to seal bags. Cut off more than sufficient length to reach the prongs. Make a small loop at one end. Insert into battery compartment and hook the prong and pull back SLIGHTLY. Do both. If this works then it will last for years as long as you just slide the batteries in in future with the control box held fairly flat.

With only 30 hours of use, it sounds like a new machine and shouldn't have any issues, especially pitting.. Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon, and unfortunately that happens. I would just call them and go over the issues..

Well I've tried the obvious and the contacts are making good contact. I bought it in 06 and just really got going good this year after retiring. I'll give White's a call Monday.
Thanks everyone!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back