My .02 on E-Bay from a buyers stand point.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed some griping in here(warranted) and wanted to pass on something that I have encountered
while purchasing most coins on E-Bay. I have my own rating scale that I go buy and here it is.

1) Did I get the item I ordered in the condition it was described as?
2) Did it arrive neatly package for protection?
3) Did the buyer communicate with me if I needed a question answered?

If I answer yes across the board than that seller gets five stars across the board and a positive experience mark, period. It is their business
and I got what I wanted. I shouldn't try to get money back, claim it is broke or just be a richard head about it.

One case in particular that stand out is I ordered a 1963 US Mint set from a lady in Philadelphia. It wasn't
all that much but I collect US Mint Sets as a fetish. When the envelope gets to the house there is a tear
in the back of it and the mint set was gone. Now I don't jump to conclusions, I merely assumed that some
machine in the process ripped the back out of the envelope and the mint set fell out. I took pictures of
the envelope and sent them to the seller and merely asked her to package her shipments a little better
in the future. I was out $22 dollars or so, not enough to ruin somebody's business that was beyond their
control. I signed off and left feedback of five stars and a positive experience and left it at that. $22.00
dollars just wasn't worth the frustration and time to deal with something so small.

Well three days later I received another 1963 US Mint Set in the mail, packaged better and a note of apology
in the envelope. All at no further charge. I saved that seller and eventually over the course of four years
spent over $3,000 dollars with her.

I guess the moral of the story is that all buyers are not a pain and all sellers are not out to rip you off. It is a pain for both when you encounter one or the other. I do not know how you people do it but keep on do it.
E-Bay is my Crack....:laughing7:

P.S. Anybody want to take on consignment about 400 Mizuno new embroidered pullovers to sell on E-Bay for me? Need them out of my house.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Very well said.

I believe that most buyers are decent people who act reasonably, even when problems arise.

What we see on this forum are continuous complaints about the handful of bad buyers or scam artists that we get. Some of these buyers are so impossible to please that it just makes your blood boil.

No one ever posts about the great buyers. I had one a year ago. A guy in Canada bought an item from me for $32, and my wife sent him the wrong item. That guy not only wanted to keep that part, but ordered the correct one too, and paid for both of them. After he received the correct item, I emailed him and thanked him for being a great buyer and for blessing our lives with the orders. The very next day, he bought $400 worth of parts...not just any parts...these are parts for very rare applications. I will forever be thankful to that guy in Alberta, Canada.

This has the makings of being one of the best threads I have seen posted in a while!

Thanks for sharing these stories.

I guess the moral of the story is that all buyers are not a pain and all sellers are not out to rip you off. It is a pain for both when you encounter one or the other. I do not know how you people do it but keep on do it.

Very nice way to sum it up. :icon_thumright:

One positive experience with a buyer that stand out in my mind is one who is the only one who has ever called me on the phone. I had a nice, very lightly used recent model Kerig coffee maker that I picked up from someone who got it for Christmas but hated the coffee. I tested it out, listed it, and sold it to a gentleman from Brooklyn.

I get this email, stating that a part is missing, and did I have it (some type of little screen). I know it was there when I tested it but I cannot locate it. I offer to take it back, but then I get a phone call from the guy that evening. He said he didn't want to return it. I thought maybe because of the shipping so I offered to help with that, but that wasn't it. He said to give him a day or two to come up with an answer on his end, which was ok by me.

That guy found that little metal part on eBay, that cost 13.62 with shipping, sends me the info where he bought it, and asked if I could help with the price. I PayPal 13.62, he did all the work, great feedback from him on how easy it was to work with me, and I still make a great profit on the item!

By the way, that little metal part was from someone parting out that model of coffee maker. I know it has been discussed under different threads but broken items can still have resale value in the form of the parts that do work!

I have little selling activity on e-bay, mostly buying, but one time while juggling several auctions at the same time, I mistakenly sent the wrong parts to two different buyers...and I actually contacted one buyer before he received his item to give him the heads-up. After great communication between all of us, the two buyers simply sent the other their respective parts, and neither wanted any refunds for their shipping (small parts)...positive feedback and everybody was happy. Wish they all could be that easy to work with. ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back