My 1st Buffalo nickel, bonus it has the date. Mini-ball?

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to my "honey hole" and finally found a non silver keeper. 6 silvers, an 1848 farthing, No wheats or Indians, but finally my first Buffalo, 1935. Also what appears to be a mini-ball, with a de for size. image.jpgimage.jpg.

Upvote 10
Any day with a buff find is good. Even better when there is a date!! Nice find!!

Yeah Q4! Congrats on your first buffalo, and having a date is a real plus.

The first year that I hunted I did not dig the mid tones very often... and of course, didn't find any buffalos. The other boys made fun of me for being "buffaloless". I have been trying a lot harder to dig the nickels over the past few months, and now have 6 buffalos!

Very well done. GL&HH!

I've dug over 70 nickels this year myself after lowering my discrimination, hoping for more!

Very nice Buffalo find! Congratulations!

IMHO, using less discrimination (I run open or nearly) will always increase your keepers, but your junk will increase a bit. Gold lives where the nickels do, so you are in the right place for the good stuff!

Good Luck in 2015!

Cograts on pulling a dated Buffalo :occasion14:

I must admit that I disc 1-25 on the F75. (iron and foil). I tried all metal mode and the detector grunts like a pig foraging for food. Not my cup of tea yet. Maybe someday I will grow fond of the foraging pig.:dontknow:

I used to disc out more when I started. Wonder how many goodies I did not hear the 1st year? Oh well, you live and learn. Out of $510 dug last season I only found about $2.50 worth of nickles. I like nickles more than memorial or zinc pennies. At least they are worth 5 times the money. No real gold yet, but it's coming.

Last edited:
Nice work on the Buff. Not a minie ball though, they're conical projectiles. You've got a round ball of indeterminate age, but another good recovery.

Nice finds! All in good shape! They told me test the round ball with a magnet, round balls are not magnetic.

Well it looks like a pistol ball, but without an accurate measurement I can't say for sure. I see a mold line on it, is there a flat spot where a sprue was cut off? Having the line tells me it's home cast and not a factory made ball, and the lack of patina says not very old. If you can get ahold of a digital caliper and give us a measurement of the diameter in 100ths of an inch we can tell you if it's a pistol ball or something else... 000 buckshot maybe...

Thanks MsBB..it is not magnetic, so seems to be a round ball.

Well it looks like a pistol ball, but without an accurate measurement I can't say for sure. I see a mold line on it, is there a flat spot where a sprue was cut off? Having the line tells me it's home cast and not a factory made ball, and the lack of patina says not very old. If you can get ahold of a digital caliper and give us a measurement of the diameter in 100ths of an inch we can tell you if it's a pistol ball or something else... 000 buckshot maybe...
I have no way to get the calipers you suggest, but there is a flat spot on it. I didn't think it looked too old myself.

Cograts on pulling a dated Buffalo :occasion14:

I must admit that I disc 1-25 on the F75. (iron and foil). I tried all metal mode and the detector grunts like a pig foraging for food. Not my cup of tea yet. Maybe someday I will grow fond of the foraging pig.:dontknow:

I used to disc out more when I started. Wonder how many goodies I did not hear the 1st year? Oh well, you live and learn. Out of $510 dug last season I only found about $2.50 worth of nickles. I like nickles more than memorial or zinc pennies. At least they are worth 5 times the money. No real gold yet, but it's coming.
Hi Loco, with my Tesoro I got a dial up to 10. Last year I ran it mostly at 7, this year I have been running it around 4. The sad thing is I don't seem to be getting all that much extra trash. Either way, for the big increase in nickels and 2 gold rings, I'll never go above 4 again!

Congrats on your first buffalo with a date too, they are cool coins. Keep digging those nickel sounds. I was digging what I thought was a nickel one time and had quite the surprise with one of my favorite best finds, lol.

Congrats on your first buffalo with a date too, they are cool coins. Keep digging those nickel sounds. I was digging what I thought was a nickel one time and had quite the surprise with one of my favorite best finds, lol.

And?....What was that find? Man, you just can't say something like that and not divulge the find!

Congrats on that first buff and to have a date, Sweet!!

Nice buffalo :occasion14: I don't think the round ball is old, probably was used by someone recently.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back