What's new

My 1st shelter dig.

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,657
Reaction score
287
Golden Thread
0
Location
Austin T.X.
A F.B. Friend was kind enuff to invite some of out to his place at Possum Kingdom lake for a shelter dig.Ole Blackfoot & I Saddled up for a 4 hour or so ride.The whole trip was worth it!!!!!We met some wonderful folks,made new friends,seen some great wildlife,and just had a blast!

Here is some of the artifacts and fossils I found.

1st shelter find ever for me.A small Mano/hammerstone.
P1070421.jpg

P1070422.jpg

P1070423.jpg


This is my best find.A whole(for the most part)Bison bone.(At least I am pretty sure)
P1070379.jpg

P1070380.jpg

After a light cleaning.
P1070381.jpg

P1070382.jpg

P1070383.jpg


My 1st shelter ARTI-FAKER...It got me good...lol
P1070384.jpg


Some bone /shell and such.
P1070385.jpg


This smoothing stone was gifted to me by our host.
P1070386.jpg

P1070387.jpg


P1070388.jpg

P1070389.jpg

A worn-out shell something?
P1070390.jpg

P1070391.jpg


The flint
P1070398.jpg

Broken knife
P1070399.jpg

a tip
P1070400.jpg


The fossils.
P1070392.jpg


Urchin spines
P1070393.jpg


Crinoids in Tx.?
P1070394.jpg

P1070396.jpg

P1070395.jpg

P1070397.jpg
 
Upvote 0
great post thanks for sharing. I could be looking at one of my sites as far as the bone... some of those are tools. that flint is some nice stuff. looks like a couple worked scrapers in that bunch.
 
Cool Finds! :icon_thumleft: That bison bone is nicely oxidized. Did any of the others find any points to kind of date the shelter?
 
Cool finds Neo. I used to go to Possum Kingdom and boat/sail/party. Looks like you are on a good spot. What is that lower mandible to??
 
I also boated on PK....nice lake. Nice finds Neo, is this a shelter that's exposed due to low water or one that's in the vicinity? Very nice finds, thanks for sharing. You have a gem of a FB friend/host!
 
Thanx guys...I like the bone as well,it's my best bone find in a while.Even better thats its my first shelter dig.The water is low,but I don't I don't think it was under.
 
danger will robinson !
 
Alright.I will bite.....Why Danger?......Shelter is on private land,had permission,not a people bone....have I missed anything?
 
I shouldn't have said anything this topic doesn't ever have a solution. All arrowhead hunters think its ok to open a shelter if its on private land and maybe it is in your state and I don't claim to know the law in any state on this but im almost sure that its illegal in some states even on private land with permission. Its the same as looting a grave to some folks and I lean that way myself. Did you know that there wasn't going to be any human remains in there before you dug. Its strange to say oh it was ok there were no bones in there after the fact...If you ask me its just morally wrong.
 
These were a gift from our host.1/2 for Eli,and a 1/2 for me.Nether one of us could see them split up ,so he gave me his part.Pretty cool of him.
SDC10228.jpg

SDC10231.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom