Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The nickel fall in the pop top range on a Garrett AT Pro so it gives a lower tone. Is that what your talking about?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah Mohawk nickels and tabs are real close but you will find nickels are a much more consistent number when you swing over them. And to add a little more fun to the hunt, gold falls in the same range! Good luck out there.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nickels do give a lower trashy tone and it says so in the ATP manual. 90% of the time a nickel will ring up a very 52 with no scratchiness. Sometimes they ring a 51 or 53 but most often a 52. I can assure you that you will dig more tabs than nickels. After awhile more often then not you will know it's a nickel but you still have to dig those 51 -53 signals. Don't be discouraged because sometimes a ring will show up when you dig so I dig most anything from 51 to 56

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ditto what normsel said!
Paul

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an older Garrett and nickels show up in the same area on the display as tabs too. A nickel does not vary though like the usual tab signal will. I say "usual" because sometimes I still get fooled with a solid tab too. You have to dig 'em!

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Normsel said, if I get a solid 52 in Clay soil, which is what we have around here, I can bet the farm it is a nickel. Don't rule out a 53 or even down to 49 as I have dug them and pulled a nickel out of the ground too. I don't remember the years on those nickels either. What to remember with the ATP is as you swing you shouldn't hear that bleep at the end of the swing; it should be a clean sharp signal, dig... dig... dig...; it might be that big ole' V-Nickel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread