My best, and most valuable find!

ted750

Aug 20, 2006
This is my best find so far in about 5, maybe 6 years of detecting if you count my time with my wretched bounty hunter.... It is a medal from a 1923 New York state - wide essay competition. From what I can research, the series had a gold, silver, and bronze medal, this one being the silver. The medals are hand crafted by Gorham silver co. and has a Gorham hallmark on the rim. The obverse, (the side with the woman) shows an artists rendition of the actress Jane Cowl playing Juliet. The reverse reads "High schools of New York" around the edges, and says "romeo and juliet essay competition - 1923" in the center. The Gold medal is still in a private collection, and the bronze medal recently sold for 1200$ at an auction. I found this in my backyard. Yes, that's right, my back yard. My neighborhood was built in the forties and I was detecting the spot where the construction workers had apparently dumped the excess materials. This medal read a rare "silver dollar" signal on my ace 250, and I dug - and dug, and dug. and finally, after about an hour of hacking through the frozen ground, uncovered a silvered edge.... My first thought was soda can, but i also thought.... SILVER DOLLAR! So, after about 2 hours of digging and hacking I managed to feneagle this beaut out of the ground. I literally screamed, and ran inside to show my Mom. I'm pretty sure I found this in late 06.... All I can say is ---- WOOHOO!!!!

Hope you enjoy,

Ted

Attachments

• Best Find---- so far.jpg
    Best Find---- so far.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,553
  • best find jane cowl medal.jpg
    best find jane cowl medal.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,557
  • Best Find Size.jpg
    Best Find Size.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,552
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, nice to hear from you ted! very nice find there and i hope you get to MD soon :)

HH
-GC

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice chunk of silver :)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah...that's a signal many of us would have given up on after hacking for two hours. I would have thought soda can or big hunk-o-iron. :-\

It's gorgeous!! :o :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread