What's new

My Best Beach find!

onthespot

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2012
Messages
344
Reaction score
376
Golden Thread
0
Location
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cool Beach find!

Was out doing a little scouting today and eyeballed a odd rock. I threw it against a larger rock to reveal a old WWII hand grenade!
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    345.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Upvote 0
angry_greg_head_explode_sm_clr.gif
Be careful with that puppy onthespot!
 
OOPS!! Be careful out there.

At first glance before reading your post, I thought it was a pic of a tarnished silver ring :icon_scratch:.....haven't had my morning coffee yet8-)

Lorraine
 
Whoah! Don't think that is a real pineapple. Careful... I dug a few WW2 mortars when they first dredged Dania Beach, Florida in the mid-to-late 70's--where the State park now exists. Troops practiced their during WW2, firing mortars from the beach to a target barge being towed parallel to the beach. I had to take them to the Navy Ordinance which was located near the Ft. Lauderdale airport, in the area of the old Ft. Lauderdale Naval Air Station. The same place where former President Reagan flew planes during WW2 and where the Torpedo Bombers flew out of and never returned, sparking interest in the Bermuda Triangle Mystery--the latter being a bunch of mumbo-jumbo created by a writer who had one too many.
 
Southern Digger: Wouldn't it of been better if the EOD boys made a beach call?
 
Last edited:
Was out doing a little scouting today and eyeballed a odd rock. I threw it against a larger rock to reveal a old WWII hand grenade!

Decisions Decisions: What to do, What to do barks the puppy chasing his tail?

Call the experts who specialize in WWII artifacts or the disposal boys to determine what is best to do.
I would call both.

Personally, I would not touch that with the 54" pole on my stand up water scoop. In fact, I would not touch it.
A land mine was found on the beach that I hunt on a few years ago, and detonated on the spot.
I found out about it after hearing the Kaboom which rattled house windows two blocks away.
As the beach had been evacuated earlier the only fresh drops were from pets in the neighborhood.

Frantic radio transmission recieved from Navy patrol bomber somewhere in the Pacific just after start of WWll
" Sighted sub or whale"
" Sank stern or tail"
 
Last edited:
onthespot almost had a new meaning :blob8:
 
I should of said coolest find. After looking at google images, it looks like the top have is broke off. Once I figure out if it is live or not, I would like to keep it.
 
Nice find, on the spot. I would have called the experts in for a look before I touched the grenade or the mortar rounds that southern digger found.
 
I agree with fongu, get an experts advise, betterr than losing a hand.
 
IF you think it's live then IT is live. Don't go screwing around with a suspected UXO (unexploded ordinance). Especially the older stuff. It if it is in fact an MK2, produced up until the 60s it would be very very unstable. Even if the pin and spoon are in place the spring for the firing mechanism inside may have deteriorated which creates it's instability!

TNT-K9
 
Here think about this Chug

UXB
 
Whoah! Don't think that is a real pineapple. Careful... I dug a few WW2 mortars when they first dredged Dania Beach, Florida in the mid-to-late 70's--where the State park now exists. Troops practiced their during WW2, firing mortars from the beach to a target barge being towed parallel to the beach. I had to take them to the Navy Ordinance which was located near the Ft. Lauderdale airport, in the area of the old Ft. Lauderdale Naval Air Station. The same place where former President Reagan flew planes during WW2 and where the Torpedo Bombers flew out of and never returned, sparking interest in the Bermuda Triangle Mystery--the latter being a bunch of mumbo-jumbo created by a writer who had one too many.

I think you mean George HW Bush. He was a navy pilot in WW2.
 
Southern Digger: Wouldn't it of been better if the EOD boys made a beach call?

There were several other mortars with fins broken off. All were neutralized by saltwater exposure. These were banging through a dredge pipe for quite a few hundred yards and dumped on to the beach then spread around with dozers. If they were to explode, it would have happened then. The boys at the Naval Ordinance was not concerned about them being a danger but asked me to bring them over for disposal. They were on the floor of my car behind the driver's seat for nearly a week. I tried to talk them into unloading one of the complete mortars so I could keep it as a local WW2 display example, they refused. There are probably many more remaining, buried deep in the replenished beach.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom