My best coin ever!! TNet Vacation Part 3 (I guess)

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've seen Carolina Tom's post titled TNet Vacation Parts 1&2 you know that Tom, Loco-Digger and I just got back from a fantastic MDing trip in the Great Northeast hosted by those B-O-B's, EastCoastHunter21,Scrappy, Bartec and Treblehunter. What crew! We hunted and laughed all week!

thanks guys for a great time and several bucket list items for the visiting three.

The week couldn't have started any better for me as only an hour into the first hunt I got a tone just above where a nickel would come in and pulled out what looked to be a small flat button. As I placed it in my left hand it slipped and fell. I couldn't see it among the leaves and twigs so picked up my detector but it didn't see it either. I remember thinking "I'll never find that tiny brown button among all this brown debris. But what the heck it's just a flat button." Right? I got down on my knees and soon saw it standing on edge amongst the leaves. I carefully picked it up and that's when I saw it's six pointed star!! I had to call Treblehunter over to verify my ID and he was laughing at me 'cause I was shaking like a leaf. But it was what I suspected - a trime!! 1852. If before this trip you had asked me what I would like to find - this coin would have been my answer but I wouldn't have believed it to be possible.

Sorry to be so longwinded but I couldn't help myself.

DSC_7171.jpg

DSC_7170 2.jpg

My other finds;

DSC_7165.JPG

The crusty LC was IDed by Tom as a draped bust. 2 Indians beside it - some cleaning needed.
The piece of a coin is from a coin the size of an LC,, ID anyone?
The first coin in the dime line appears to be another Barber. Would have loved to have a seated to add to the trifecta. The toasty Merk is a '16 with an unfortunate "s".

Other stuff includes a 1908 New York dog tag. My oldest tag.

DSC_7161.jpg

The rest;

DSC_7166.JPG

I would appreciate any ID for the bottom item.

Thanks for Lookin'.

GL &HH to everyone but most of all them B******* Of Bramble

Last edited:
Upvote 31
Man these member hunts sure sound like a blast. Congrats on some good friendships formed.

Congrats on all your finds, especially the tiny trime.

Congratualtions on the fun hunt with fellow Tnet members! :notworthy:

Very nice looking Trime. :icon_thumright:

You left the part about thinking you lost the trime when you went to get it. Lol.

Excellent digs bud. Tom said you didn't know how to use a computer, so that's why you never post. What's up with that guy?!

Oh I know how to use a computer machine. I just normally don't have finds worth the effort but you guys fixed that this week. Thanks!!

But since we're sharing - ask Tom why we call his silver 5c piece the New York coin so nice - he had to find it twice!

Last edited:
Love the trime Smittyman, glad to be there on the same hunt when you pulled that buck list coin. I was hoping to find my 1st one during the detecting vacation back east but to no avail. It as great seeing you again and the rest of the crew. Those hunts were brutal, I hurting every evening, glad I had some ibuprofen with me. Maybe we can hunt again this summer down in NC or VA.

Congrats on that bucket lister trime!! It's still on my list but, at least I was there when the kid dug one a couple weeks ago.
I really like that old dog tag, my oldest is a 1922. Good company and great finds, what else could you ask for, Congrats!!

It was great seeing you guys again, the trime is a tough one to find and you did it off the bat! Hope we do another group hunt this year!

Smitty man it was Great seeing you again I'm happy you pull the bucket list coin
Good food good hunts good friends
Thanks for the visit.
See you next year ! Till then hh gl

Great Hunt - had to be a ball to be with like-minded folks! Bet you guys did some serious relaxing in the evenings after all that exercise!

Finding a trime is probably the most difficult coin on the bucket list. No other coin VDI's or sounds like it. Tiny suckers are quite rare. Nice find and I can relate to your emotions as I found one as well. Gotta' love those once in a lifetime finds. Maybe you'll score another but, it's notched off the bucket list BABY ! Congrats.

We see quite a lot of variants of those types of Faux Buckles at the bottom of your picture (This is one of the more ornate). I'm pretty sure they are early 1900s (may tip into the 1800s), but what I don't know is what they pin onto with those small holes. It maybe some type of ladies sash type buckle, but it maybe went on a hat??

You left the part about thinking you lost the trime when you went to get it. Lol.

I lose so much, so often that I'm almost comfortable when something goes missing these days altho, I was a little nervous this morning when I couldn't find my wallet - 'til I went back to the diner where I had somehow left it - even tho my wife had paid!

Last edited:
Fantastic stuff! Love that Trime. Big congrats. -Lisa & John

You guys all killed it!, Congrats smitty, that trime is definitely worth the trip!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back