What's new

My best CoinStar find

rginn

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
9,220
Reaction score
13,580
Golden Thread
0
Location
Summit County, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have CoinStar at my workplace and I'll see coins sometimes in the reject bin, but usually nothin interesting. The other night I walked by the machine and Washington on the obverse just jumped out at me. I thought I knew what it was, and sure enough it's a proof coin, not intended for general circulation. CoinStar rejected it cause it's silver. I saw best price for this was about $10 in tip top condition, which this one ain't quite. You have to wonder how it wound up in the hands of the people who tried to run it through the machine.
11-19h.webp
11-19g.webp
 
We have CoinStar at my workplace and I'll see coins sometimes in the reject bin, but usually nothin interesting. The other night I walked by the machine and Washington on the obverse just jumped out at me. I thought I knew what it was, and sure enough it's a proof coin, not intended for general circulation. CoinStar rejected it cause it's silver. I saw best price for this was about $10 in tip top condition, which this one ain't quite. You have to wonder how it wound up in the hands of the people who tried to run it through the machine.
View attachment 2234150View attachment 2234151
Excellent! Score! It's a keeper!
 
Somebodies coin collection got raided. An impaired proof doesn't really have any collector value.....just it's silver content.
 
Right cudamark, it would never grade out at the top, although it looks a little better in real life than the pics, so just the silver value is the way I look at it. Still, pretty cool find.
 
What is coinstar? Thanks
tn_metal_detector.gif
A Coinstar is a standalone machine (normally found in grocery stores), that counts your loose change and generates a paper voucher for redemption at a cashier, etc.
 
YOU FOUND THE WHITE WHALE. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
For those keeping score, silver's now at $79 an ounce. I check this forum periodically, hoping someone's still getting lucky.
 
Heck yeah! Sweet find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom