What's new

My best find

skeeterd

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2012
Messages
520
Reaction score
140
Golden Thread
0
Location
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I'm new here, I wanted to post a pic of one of my best finds. Found it about 10 years ago after a local creek flooded and people were hunting buffalo skulls that washed up. (There are several buffalo jumps upstream). I saw a piece of horn sticking out of the mud and pulled it out. Turned out to be a stick. But as luck would have it, this came out of the bank to! Anybody tell me what it was used for? The pocket knife is for size reference, about three inches. 2012-09-23 10.14.52.webp
 
Upvote 0
I've seen several authentic western mauls / axes / grooved critters that looked like the groove was pecked out just yesterday. In fact, it's commonplace - but when you bear down and scrutinize them you can distinguish wear and age.

Quick question for Larson & 11kpb, what are the average sizes that you see for the stone hobbles?
 
I've seen several authentic western mauls / axes / grooved critters that looked like the groove was pecked out just yesterday. In fact, it's commonplace - but when you bear down and scrutinize them you can distinguish wear and age.

Quick question for Larson & 11kpb, what are the average sizes that you see for the stone hobbles?

Hello Matt, thank you for taking the time to verify my previous information of post #13 in this thread.

As for the average size of stone tethers I cannot be of any help. They were not using them on the
historic sites I hunt and of course the Late Prehistoric sites where I find the mauls predate the use
of horses on the Plains. I do know that historic iron tethers weighed between 12 and 25 pounds.
 
11KBP said:
Hello Matt, thank you for taking the time to verify my previous information of post #13 in this thread.

As for the average size of stone tethers I cannot be of any help. They were not using them on the
historic sites I hunt and of course the Late Prehistoric sites where I find the mauls predate the use
of horses on the Plains. I do know that historic iron tethers weighed between 12 and 25 pounds.

Thank both of you for the info. The stones my grandad has are about four or five pounds each. They are grooved like this one of mine but show no wear on either end. They are very round also. Next time I'm out to visit him, I will try to get some photos of them.
 
if anything i could be a natural shaped cobble that has patina from millions of years and the indians just pecked the raw grind off reaveling its inside , that would not patina the same,
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom