My Best Love Token

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When a local lake was drained that used to have an 1890's amusement park located on it shores, I found this wonderful love token.

The love token is unusual in that both sides of the coin were engraved, whereas normally just the reverse side is engraved. Oh, it was a Seated Liberty Quarter.

Our metal detecting club had a guest speaker who is an expert on Love Tokens and he really like this one for being unique in that manner. I was told it would be OK to clean up the staining on it from the hundred years of sitting under water, but I have never done so. It is pretty enough just the way I found it......

Don in South Jersey

Attachments

• 1890LoveToken.jpg
    1890LoveToken.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 650
Upvote 0
Nice unique connection with real life.

Your 110% correct, keep it as is!

Gypsy, I tried looking up those initials for residents of that time frame in hopes of determining who the two individuals were, but I got nowhere. Our population in Southern New Jersey at that time was not too big, so I thought I had a shot at it.

I wonder if the top set of initials are the guy and the bottom the gal, or vica versa. I do remember when I was looking for the names I was trying the lower set of initials as the guy, since in 1890 in this area, you would most likely be more affluent to get a love token made and the initials FNW matched those of a prominant manufacturer in our area, but I believe the age was not right for making one for a gal or the one initial was wrong, not sure.

But, maybe someday I will stumble upon the names and than that would be something very special to know. :)

Don

very nice token! I have a Indian Head cent with a similar design. If I can find it I'll post a pic.

That is very special..... I wish we had tokens here in South Africa ::)

God bless
Peter

Exellent Find Don, Beautifull Workmanship.

Not quite the same, but close.

Attachments

• Love token 002.jpg
    Love token 002.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 581
  • Love token 002.jpg
    Love token 002.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 577
That is a beautiful find!! Never found one of those...it's on my wishlist!

In the UK Love Tokens were popular between 1790-1830. They were mainly William III sixpences (as pictured), the wealthy would use shillings. They were bend in opposite directions & discarded in a favourite spot never to be found again!!

Not as pretty as yours.

Attachments

• tokens.JPG
    tokens.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 529

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back