My best relic from last year. A log marking hammer.

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
After 20 years of trying to find one of these hammers I finally found one. I allways thought If I found one it would be in the woods or by a logging camp. I found it right in the middle of town at an excavation site and almost threw it away. When I dug it up it was packed with sand and it looked like a hammer but there wasn't a hole for a handle so I tossed if off to the side. When I went back the next day I was detecting by it and noticed that the sand had dried and sunk in where the hole was. I'm glad I took a second look or it would of been under the parking lot and gone forever. The piece of wood has a log mark stamped on it and it was found in the river by the first sawmill that was built in town. Sadly both the marks are unknown so I don't know what logging companies used them. The hammer is 7 pounds and has a double "H" for a mark. Thanks for looking.

Wolverine. SANY0102.jpg SANY0100.jpg SANY0098.jpg SANY0097.jpg

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find. I probably would have done as you first did and never followed up. Good artifact!

Michigander Dan

Mar 11, 2012
Water Wonderland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett Pinpointer pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, very nice. This is also on my list which I have yet to find. Good Hunting indeed.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet relic, glad you didn't miss it. :icon_thumleft: The marked log you found has an indistinct mark; I'd have missed that one. Surprised all those log markings aren't cataloged somewhere. :dontknow: I had an ecology prof in college who had survey plots in the U.P. (Sylvania and McCormick tracts) and he told of finding logs with markings on them.

HH

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Every logging company had to register there mark with the county there were logging in. There very well could be documentation at the courthouse of these marks and could be found if you have the time to search though the mountains of boxes. These old documents are not filed so it would be really hard to find.
Wolverine.

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Hammer relic - nice ID too - I wouldn't have known what it was!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I have never posted pics of my finds, but I geuss I will now. I also have a lumber stamp I dug up. Stay tuned.

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Hey Muleskinner post some of your finds. I would like to see your marking hammer.
Wolverine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions