My Best Weekend Ever

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
On Saturday I found a high school ring that had been lost for 51 years. She graduated in 1942 and lost it in 1958. There was a lot of history behind it although she only had it for ten years before losing it. It went to Germany and Japan with her boyfriend during WWII.
To top it off the boyfriend was my uncle..........small world huh? Although he passed away years ago and she married someone else it makes for a great story! The smile,then the tears,and the emotions of getting something back that meant so much is what metal detecting is all about. Thanks to Arnold C.( one of my hunting buddies)who seems to bring me good luck. I have found three rings this year that we were able to return to the owners! What a start to the weekend! I didnt know at the time that it would also produce the oldest coin I have ever found.
On Sunday my hunting partner and I were invited to a spot in South Carolina that goes back to the early 1700's.We hunted here a few weeks back and found some really old buttons and a trigger guard. A week later a buddy that invited us to this spot found a Irish Farthing ....I think it was 1760. On Sunday we were in this same area . I had found a sunburst button and was looking for more! This spot has an old cemetary with only one grave that can be read. The date of death was in the 1820's. At the north end of the cemetary in the edge of a field is where some type of structure was....whether a small church,brush arbor or maybe even a house...we are not sure yet but the research is on!
This is an open field other than a grove of trees where the graves are and there are a lot of trees that have died and fell . Woodspirticarver and I were kinda taking a break talking hunting strategy.......he had his foot on one of the trees that had fallen in the edge of the field.As he turned away to go back detecting I happened to run the coil of the ole DFX by the edge of the log.............I was in all metal and I got a really good positive hit. With woodspirtcarver watching I moved the old rotten log and popped out a plug of dirt.
There it was ....a coin and a few choice words from Woodspirit carver. After a little careful cleaning we knew it was a really old...... 1740 something............ It turned out to be a British Half pence (1744). ;D My oldest find yet!!! Thanks to Trace for the invite and woodspiritcarver my hunting partner for helping make this the best weekend for detecting of my life!!
happy hunting to all!!
mike

Attachments

• ring in the dirt.JPG
    ring in the dirt.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 755
  • ring and I.JPG
    ring and I.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 698
  • ring cleaned a little.JPG
    ring cleaned a little.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 747
  • n6sc grove of trees.JPG
    n6sc grove of trees.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 760
  • sundays finds.JPG
    sundays finds.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 743
  • british half pence  bk.JPG
    british half pence bk.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 734
  • 1744 british half pence dt.JPG
    1744 british half pence dt.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 730
Upvote 0

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing story...I love it when stories like this have a good ending. WTG

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're keeping it interesting, that's for sure! Too bad she wasn't still around to receive the ring back.

OP
OP
hikermike

hikermike

Dec 16, 2004
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2
Iron Patch said:
You're keeping it interesting, that's for sure! Too bad she wasn't still around to receive the ring back.

She is.......I will have a pic of all of us in a little while. She had her hair up in curlers and didnt want me to get any pics of her yet. I have got to meet her ,my hunting buddy Arnold C and a reporter from our local newspaper at 2:00 today. Will post more pics soon!!
mike

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
wow, what a great day! thanks for sharing that story and the pictures! that's a lot of momentous treasure to find in one day, for sure! did you know about the ring before you found it, or did you find out by investigating afterward?

carpetbagger

Sep 4, 2006
Rock Hill S.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Whites XLT / Garrett Ace 250
Mike, congrats on your weekend dude :headbang: :wav: You and Arnold make quite the ring finding team. As far as the british half pence goes, that is one of the moments in my life where I will always look back and remeber the exact image of you flipping that plug over and there she layed. I think I was more excited than you for a moment there. :hello2: Not to mention the fact that I was standing directly on top of it rolling the small log with my foot while talking to you. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :sad5:
I had a little more than a few choice words to say after that :argue: But anyway I am glad you found it, It could have not had happend to a better guy. See you tonight at the meeting.
HH
Jeff K

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer
Holy crap man.......great story and pics and finds!

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
wow great week end! cool story to. theres nothing like the feeling you get when you dig up a old copper. my oldest is a 1746 king george copper. willy.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Wow, that coin looks nice for its age! And the ring is stellar too! Looking forward to those photos.
Anthony

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent KGII ! That thing is in awesome shape. Congrats.............Hogge :thumbsup:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Very Nice !!! Neat old ring.