What's new

My Buddy and hunting partner and Fathers Day Lifesaver

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2014
Messages
2,258
Reaction score
3,337
Golden Thread
3
Location
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner would be too humble to share this with tnet but I'm going to since this could have been a Fathers Day tragedy. I received the following message from a Really good guy and hunting partner DownNDirty today.
I had an interesting experience this afternoon. This is my Facebook post : Well I guess I just did my Father's Day good deed for the day. After we got home from celebrating the day at my sister's, Anna and I were walking the dogs when the garage door opened three houses down from us. A young guy in his late 20's was coughing and gasping for air and stumbled into his driveway. He managed to say "I'm choking!!" I ran over to him and took my best shot at the Heimlic maneuver. He gasped "a little lower" so I adjusted my grip and pulled in and up as hard as I could, lifting him in the air.

Apparently that did the trick and the stuck piece of meat went down. After he caught his breath he explained that he has a medical condition that sometimes causes food to get caught in his esophagus. He thanked me and we headed home. Hard to believe but I might have just saved a person's life today-it's a good feeling./SIZE]
Had to share this on Fathers Day. Glad you were in the Right place at the Right time Glenn I'm sure your neighbors are also
 
Upvote 44
Wow.... Good job by him, that must have been scary...
 
What an excellent thing to be able to do. A real hero...
 
Fantastic and thank you for helping out this young man - I know what it is like to choke on something (I have been there) and had the Heimlic was applied to me which poped out the pill that was caught. Thanks again!!!

Texas ED
 
You'd think, if he has this problem frequently, he'd be taking smaller bites! LOL Glad you were there to save the day!

Yeah Skippy I hope the guy names his kid after him. I can hear it now when he started to date. No daughter of mine is gonna date a guy named DownNDirty :laughing7:
 
That's very good if your buddy to help out. I work on a ship and I n addition to my ship officer duties I'm also the shipboard medic. I have responded to many such situations on land during my off time. What I always see, without fail, are people on-scene just staring at the victim. They freeze and don't know what to do. I commend your buddy for acting fast in, what to many, is a frightening situation.
 
Last edited:
That's very good if your buddy to help out. I work on a ship and I n addition to my ship officer duties I'm also the shipboard medic. I have responded to many such situations on land during my off time. What I always see, without fail, are people on-scene just staring at the victim. They freeze and don't know what to do. I commend your buddy for acting fast in, what to many, is a frightening situation.

Scrappy you're absolutely correct. Most people freeze/panic in most Emergency Situations. I have kept my Red Cross CPR/ First Responder training up to date over the years. It has come in handy
 
GREAT job. :notworthy::occasion14::hello2:
I too have this condition.
Medscape: Medscape Access
Not too uncommon. Mine is caused by stomach acids. I just have to watch what I eat and make sure food is "chewed up".
I need it "Roto-Rootered" every now and then.
Can be very painful and objects caught could rupture the esophagus.
 
Nicely done,,
It would have been nasty to watch someone choke to death.
 
Last edited:
That's very good if your buddy to help out. I work on a ship and I n addition to my ship officer duties I'm also the shipboard medic. I have responded to many such situations on land during my off time. What I always see, without fail, are people on-scene just staring at the victim. They freeze and don't know what to do. I commend your buddy for acting fast in, what to many, is a frightening situation.

Thanks Scrappy. For some reason in crisis situations I have always been able to stay calm and focused enough to handle the situation. I guess some people are born that way-I just react. Good for you also to have helped many on the job as well as away from the job.
 
GREAT job. :notworthy::occasion14::hello2:
I too have this condition.
Medscape: Medscape Access
Not too uncommon. Mine is caused by stomach acids. I just have to watch what I eat and make sure food is "chewed up".
I need it "Roto-Rootered" every now and then.
Can be very painful and objects caught could rupture the esophagus.

My daughter actually has it too-she has had had her esophagus stretched twice by doctors because her throat almost closed up completely.
 
That's very good if your buddy to help out. I work on a ship and I n addition to my ship officer duties I'm also the shipboard medic. I have responded to many such situations on land during my off time. What I always see, without fail, are people on-scene just staring at the victim. They freeze and don't know what to do. I commend your buddy for acting fast in, what to many, is a frightening situation.
That's great Scrappy! I have an EMS background and have had to act as an civilian as well. It amazes me as well as how many people do not react to someone in harms way for what ever reasons - mostly fear of getting sued i'd imagine.

I was in the Dallas Fort Worth Airport once and almost had to save a choking victim. Right when I grabbed the dude to help him a police officer stepped in. Im glad he did because the guy choking was much much bigger than my scrawny self.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom