My Detector Died But I Still Found 104 Wheat Cents!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I had an hour and a half window this morning before my wife had to work. Or so I thought.. I knew my battery was low but I took a chance anyways. Got in about 30 minutes before my Nox made that goofy power down tone :BangHead: Didn't have anything good at that point either. Still had an hour so I looked up some garage sales and sure enough there were 5 on one street just a few blocks away. The first 4 sales were duds but the last one was huge and had some goodies. Picked up a new treasure box, a Davy Crockett pocket knife and another road sign for the collection. My hands were full but man oh man I sure liked what I saw... Someone's Wheat Cent Collection with 104 coins! Had to have it! Double Click the Pictures for more detail. Took the best pics that I could.. And no there is NOT a 1909 S VDB...

20200919_102550_HDR.jpg

wc5.jpg

WC1.jpg

wc2.jpg

wc3.jpg

wc4.jpg

20200919_101318.jpg

The Blue Book says copyright 1949 and no date on the other one. So all in all I spent $10. The question is now, are there any key date or semi key date ones in this collection? Any that would have errors I should look for? The Nox is back on the charger now. The lady at the sale said she'll be putting more stuff out through the day. Maybe she'll find a Dime or Quarter collection in the house :laughing7: Oh and everything after 3 pm tomorrow is free so I will be going back.

Thanks for looking. Happy hunting no matter where or how you look for treasure.

-TMD-

Upvote 9

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any valuable ones in the collection. Nothing worth more the couple of dollars anyway. You would have to inspect closely to see if there are any mint errors worth mentioning.

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I love wheat penny's on their own merit and would have loved finding those.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I'll look for mint errors for sure. Should I clean them and put in a new folder or keep them the way they are? Went back today for the free part of the sale and found some display cases ill put to use and another road sign. Happy Hunting!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, enjoy the wheat collection! :occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I'll look for mint errors for sure. Should I clean them and put in a new folder or keep them the way they are? Went back today for the free part of the sale and found some display cases ill put to use and another road sign. Happy Hunting!

Most of the time, cleaning is a bad idea and will reduce the value of the coin. That said, if you mean to remove dirt or surface grime, sure, as long as you do it properly. If it's dirt, soak in hot soapy water and remove with a soft bristled toothbrush. If there's something that soapy water won't remove, such as paint, tar, glue, etc, soak in acetone and then a natural bristled brush or soft microfiber cloth (something acetone won't dissolve!) You don't want to remove the natural patina look, so other more harsh methods (electrolysis, vinegar, lemon juice, etc) should be avoided. Same goes for metal polishes and rubbing. They destroy the natural look to the coin.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Nice yard sale find!...….and unless you want to definitely make sure they are worth only 1 cent each, don't clean them!......there is no need to remove dirt and grime and especially not with any kind of brush.....They have made it this long without cleaning, let them make it even longer...….a new Whitman book?.....sure, cleaning them, umm, no.

HH all!

Greg

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the time, cleaning is a bad idea and will reduce the value of the coin. That said, if you mean to remove dirt or surface grime, sure, as long as you do it properly. If it's dirt, soak in hot soapy water and remove with a soft bristled toothbrush. If there's something that soapy water won't remove, such as paint, tar, glue, etc, soak in acetone and then a natural bristled brush or soft microfiber cloth (something acetone won't dissolve!) You don't want to remove the natural patina look, so other more harsh methods (electrolysis, vinegar, lemon juice, etc) should be avoided. Same goes for metal polishes and rubbing. They destroy the natural look to the coin.

Nice yard sale find!...….and unless you want to definitely make sure they are worth only 1 cent each, don't clean them!......there is no need to remove dirt and grime and especially not with any kind of brush.....They have made it this long without cleaning, let them make it even longer...….a new Whitman book?.....sure, cleaning them, umm, no.

HH all!

Greg

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I think I'll just leave them the way they are. Any suggestions or opinions of the steel cents? I think those are my favorite ones from the set.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're in pretty bad shape. Really not worth much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread