What's new

My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
2,121
Reaction score
281
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

Well I have used the new to me /old excal (first style blue sword decal) for 2 weeks now. I bought a SEF 15x 12 coil, and it does work good on the dry and wet sand, and in the calm water, but in the waves, it is a lot to handle, and swing. In the deep water it is also harder to pinpoint tightly. In the water I will stick to the original, maybe buy the 12 x10 SEF for the water. Yesterday I took it out to the beach and only waded, with the 8" coil, and most things were scooped in first or second if deeper scoop. Today i took it to the beach with the 15 x 12, and it was hard to get it within 5-10 scoops. In the water. But it was a little rougher than yesterday. Now on the sand I could get it within 1 or 2 scoops, unless it was real deep. It does really find a lot more stuff with the bigger coil, but it is heavier, and it has drag in the water, and like i said, is harder to pinpoint/slide the scoop where it needs to be-in the water. I will use it for the dry/wet beach. For the water the 8" coil is fine, but I may go bigger. I do like the Excal, it nulls out on iron, and does have different sounds. I am learning it. Used to PIs for 15 years and digging lots of iron. The water here is warming up, yesterday I wore a wetsuit and was cooking, today I didnt wear a wetsuit, but could only get in just shy of my thermostat. Upper thigh and that was it. Still a little too cold. Roasting on the beach though, near 80, and got some sun too. Found some change both days, no gold. Didnt put in more than an hour each day, just practicing.
 
Upvote 0
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

stevemc said:
but could only get in just shy of my thermostat.

Now that was funny :laughing7:
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

harryb007 said:
stevemc said:
but could only get in just shy of my thermostat.

Now that was funny :laughing7:

I concur. :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

I think you all know what I am talking about right? We all have been there this time of year.
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

How is the water temp now? I'm headed back in early May and I'm hoping it will be warm enough for me to be in. No wet suit yet!
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

I dont think its 70 yet. Usually by May 1st is warm enough to be in all day without a wetsuit. Usually its 85 by May 1st. No wetsuit needed!
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

wow just checked that site and wish I hadn't. High temp of year for my area is low 60's.
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

Thats a big coil for sure... I had an 18 on my DFX, and it was a bear for sure, but the wife is more into it so I had to down size some for her. My 12 on the DF isn't too bad in the water but I can't imagine any more. The water is warming up for sure on these 80 deg days, won't take long...
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

Just got back from the beach, didnt find much, actually found a lot, but nothing good, but many people out at the beach, 100s. Quite warm already, even close to the water. I just had shorts on, as I planned to check just the dry and wet sand, and did wade up to my knees, still cold, but warming. It is definetly bikini season!
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

I think the water temp up here is in the 40's, makes the thermostat more like a turtle head! :o :laughing7: Must be really nice hunting in one layer not 4 or 5!!
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

stevemc said:
Just got back from the beach, didnt find much, actually found a lot, but nothing good, but many people out at the beach, 100s. Quite warm already, even close to the water. I just had shorts on, as I planned to check just the dry and wet sand, and did wade up to my knees, still cold, but warming. It is definetly bikini season!
For us up here in the freezing north some pictures would be nice :help:
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

Pictures next time I go out! Promise.
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

I consistantly hunt in the water with the WOT coil on my Excal, and have done so for several years. If I do or don't go in the water depends on how rough the surf is on me, not on my detector......

I think you would find the more you hunt in the water with the WOT the easier it is, I have no problem pinpointing in the water....I also think the targets in the water are deeper then on the shore..... I do know for a fact My Excal and WOT goes very deep...... I have no problem using the coil in the surf either......

Steve if I may, I suggest you give it a little more time and practice.....
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

Oh, I will. Last 2 times were with the SEF. But those were without the wetsuit. I will keep trying.
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

stevemc said:
Oh, I will. Last 2 times were with the SEF. But those were without the wetsuit. I will keep trying.

The 12"x15" SEF coil is a great coil, I have one and also the 15"x18", I love the depth and coverage of the 15x18 coil, but they are both deep coils.....

Good luck hunting, look forward to meeting you at the cookout here in Orlando...
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

It was 73 water temp the other day here, so it has warmed up at least 10 degrees in 2 weeks. Was almost comfortable. I waded in with just shorts yesterday-I didnt bring my camera though. My sweety was with me, and if I was snapping pics of all the eye candy, she wouldnt like that. We just hunted the waterline, and some sand. We were only there an hour, me with the excal w/ SEF coil and her with the Whites SM PI Pro, and we both got a bit of change and a matchbox car and some alum can parts and a Capri Sun bag down about 2 feet. No gold. Beach was as crowded as I have ever seen it. Pics next time I promise. It was almost 85 yesterday at 1:30 at our house in the shade, and it felt warmer at the beach for a change.
 
Re: My eval of the Excal and the 15"x12" SEF and the original 8" Seasearch.

If one was to get into the water here without a wet suit they would be planning you planting if you stayed in more that a few minutes !

And on top of that all the Rivers are flooded and are getting worse as it has been raining very heavy for days now.
So they would find me some where in the Gulf in a few days if I tried to get in and detect .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom