What's new

My Family Is Embarrassed To Be Near Me On The Beach

Pepperlizard

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
58
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm taking my metal detector to the beaches of Cali for the first time, and I'm stoked! I was kind of heart broken when my family members all concluded that they were going to pretend that they didn't know me. Then they proceeded to ask if I was going to be wearing the sterotypical speedo as I walk up and down the beach. Anyone else ever had stuff like this happen before?
 
Upvote 0
I just got back from the States where apparently black socks and sandals are a fashion statement now.

Here in Florida we call 'em Canadian Tourists
 
Last edited:
My wife loves cycling. I drop her off at the beach and she is good for 3-4 hours of biking while I hit the water. Find out what your wife loves to do, such as shopping, golfing, bingo... you leave her there and you do some detecting. She enjoys what she wants to do and doesn't care how long you take... both are happy campers.
 
I love beach detecting. Hubby fishes and wants to be left alone. Kiddo is swimming and playing with new found friends in the sand and surf.

Off I go alone for hours. I wander back eventually. No one in our family gets upset over someone doing what they enjoy! :)

But being Momma, I have to cut back on detecting hours cause at some point I have to feed them :( and it seems like I do everything else in the world for them LOL
 
Went to the beach today, they ignored me just like they said that they would :laughing7: no impressive finds but it was still a good time, i like how digging in the sand is so much easier than the rock littered dirt everywhere else here in Cali. Found some trash, $0.77 in coins, and what I thought was an explosive device of some kind until I pulled it out. I dug about 9-10 inches down and the first thing that I saw was a rusty piece of metal in the shape of a pipe that was covered in warning labels. It ended up being a nearly used up can a silly string, but I was real nervous handling that thing before I knew what it was. I wanted to keep going but it was a small beach and after an hour there were so many people I couldn't go 5 feet in any direction without stepping on someone's towel :dontknow:


If you got that many people on the beach, there is lost jewelry there somewhere....
 
Yes my ex wife says I'm a super geek because I'm the only person that likes this hobby! but in my town there is really only 2 of us out of 100k people whoohoo! And when she hears that my 8.5 year old daughter and I went treasure hunting at a park she gets a stupid grin on her face and a smart remark, but my daughter comes running up to her with a really. If smile and shows her the $15 or so she found. Then my daughter uses the money she always finds on books. I guess she's a geek like me lol!
 
Went to Mexico in May....took a water machine, the girlfriend was giving me h e double L until I found a Ring. She promptly put it on her finger and said carry on. LOL

It's amazing how their minds change when they see some bling.;)
 
Didn't have time to read other answers but I can tell you that many people will be interested in what you are doing and what you are finding. I have thought about making me a T Shirt that reads, "I am treasure hunting and I am finding stuff that is not yours." These questions and comments are usually what I run into. People ask what you are doing? They ask if you are finding anything and then when you say you found something, they say it is theirs and that they lost it.

In most cases, I give kids that talk to me a coin. I usually give them something I am digging when I am talking to them. They really like that and I believe it is something they remember for a long long time. When I was a kid, I remember a man riding on the beach on a horse. He came up to me and my sister and he leaned over and handed me a toy flintlock pistol. I must have been about 6 years old but I can remember it like it was yesterday and I am 59. I believe your family will warm up to it. Just don't act super nerdy and you will be o.k.!
 
I'm taking my metal detector to the beaches of Cali for the first time, and I'm stoked! I was kind of heart broken when my family members all concluded that they were going to pretend that they didn't know me. Then they proceeded to ask if I was going to be wearing the sterotypical speedo as I walk up and down the beach. Anyone else ever had stuff like this happen before?

How true is this minus the Speedo.

My wife gave me the biggest trouble last year on thier first Florida beach trip, said I was going to be the biggest geek there and didn't want to be seen with me. We pulled up into the condos parking garage and while unloading a van pulled in a few spots down. Two women came out of the van carrying metal detectors. I pointed them out to the wife and did one of those silent histerical laughs that just made her face turn red. Yes, I loved every minute of it. After that she didn't have a problem with me at the beach and asked me what I'd found when I came back.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom