My favorite find

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Gold, AT Pro, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to Treasurenet. Been asked to join for a while. Thank you for having me!

I've been asked many times over the years- What's your favorite find? I've been very lucky and saved some incredible pieces of history over the years but I never had a true #1 favorite find till now. A model 1810 Militia Belt Plate. Being so close to the turning point of the War Of 1812 this buckle really hits home for me. It was dug on private property. 1784 farm with owners permission.

Attached are some screen shots from the video, a few cleaned photos, and I'll link the video as well.

If you want to share your favorite find on this thread I'd love to see it.

Thanks for looking,
Kurt

IMG_4419.PNG IMG_4418.PNG IMG_4417.PNG IMG_4416.PNG IMG_4422.jpg IMG_4423.jpg

https://youtu.be/kmAjtW6oaXo

Upvote 50

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kurt, Congrats on your find. That is definitely one that should be at the top of your list. Always enjoy watching the Hoover boys videos. Hope to see it in person at the next club meet.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found only one military belt plate over the years. (Circa 1835 - 1851). Oval and plain, no engraving.
That one is incredible.
Congratulations

Last edited:

qdp diggers

May 17, 2017
Rochester ny
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. Great video the excitement and the way you were shaking , is why we love the hobby awesome job on the history lesson in the end of the video . You guys rock welcome to t net ..

Sent from my SM-N920V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS.

But where do I start.......always asked that question but it has a long list of responses!

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the kind words and support! I'm in love with her. Nothing better then saving a piece of local history

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
So nice, it's a beautiful museum grade find. I saw your youtube video before your TNet post. You always do a fine job with your videos. Today's video with all the Colonial Coppers dug is what the young fellers call "SicK" !
Best of Luck to the HOOVER BOYS !

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So nice, it's a beautiful museum grade find. I saw your youtube video before your TNet post. You always do a fine job with your videos. Today's video with all the Colonial Coppers dug is what the young fellers call "SicK" !
Best of Luck to the HOOVER BOYS !
Hahaha! Thank you for the kind words and support Wagbert! I'm in love with that buckle. As for that Copper day. I'm still dissy just thinking about it. I wish we would have slowed down and did some live digs. It was like feeding frenzy. We all wanted to get our share. It was a tough to stop and film anything

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That thing is sick , what piece of history .... Loved the video today . Too bad you missed it Brad ... Lol

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful plate. Would love to dig one from that era. I believe your plate is more 1820s than 1810 based on what I see in O'Donnell's & Campbell's "American Military Belt Plates". They don't show a Model 1810 Militia plate, but they have several like this one.

Attachments

• IMG_20170614_195423893.jpg
    IMG_20170614_195423893.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20170614_195732700.jpg
    IMG_20170614_195732700.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! That's one you won't soon forget.
Mine was both half's of a tounge and wreath buckle. Found two months and ten feet apart. You can check my banner for details. I have recently found another wreath but no tounge yet.
That is a great buckle and welcome to the forum!

HH, RN

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful plate. Would love to dig one from that era. I believe your plate is more 1820s than 1810 based on what I see in O'Donnell's & Campbell's "American Military Belt Plates". They don't show a Model 1810 Militia plate, but they have several like this one.

Thank you for the info Steve. My firsts though was 1820's/40's when i dug it. There's many examples of the 1820's plates online. None have matched my buckle exactly. From what I've gathered the 1810 and 1820's are the same design. The biggest difference is in the neck and head of the eagle. Attached is your typical 1820's on the left and mine on the right. I'm no expert on the matter. This is why i believe mine to be a model 1810 and War of 1812 era. Very rich 1812 history in my area. I would love to know for sure. I'm in love with her either way.
P1908A.JPG 1812.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! That's one you won't soon forget.
Mine was both half's of a tounge and wreath buckle. Found two months and ten feet apart. You can check my banner for details. I have recently found another wreath but no tounge yet.
That is a great buckle and welcome to the forum!

HH, RN

Thank you Joe! Stunning CS Buckle Sir. Having dug both pieces is a dream come true. A fantasy find for me and many others. Huge congrats

BavariaJeff

May 20, 2015
Seoul, Korea
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on that awesome piece of history Kurt. I love your Hoover Boys videos. They are the best on Youtube. You guys have such a passion for history and metal detecting that is second to none! Love your passion and I hope you and the Hoover Boys make some more great finds. I am always waiting for your next video every Wednesday.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info Steve. My firsts though was 1820's/40's when i dug it. There's many examples of the 1820's plates online. None have matched my buckle exactly. From what I've gathered the 1810 and 1820's are the same design. The biggest difference is in the neck and head of the eagle. Attached is your typical 1820's on the left and mine on the right. I'm no expert on the matter. This is why i believe mine to be a model 1810 and War of 1812 era. Very rich 1812 history in my area. I would love to know for sure. I'm in love with her either way.
View attachment 1462235 View attachment 1462236

Kurt, I noticed the subtle difference in the neck and the head of the eagle when comparing yours to the 3 or four variations shown in the book, but since I couldn't find a model 1810 listed in the book, I chalked the difference up to a die variation. The book I referenced is the 2010 edition. It's still a classic plate and you can see it is pictured dead center on the cover of the book. I hope you can get a confirmed ID on it.

BavariaJeff

May 20, 2015
Seoul, Korea
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Favorite find 1880-1890 Smith &Wesson 44 Cal revolver

Gun1.jpg

Here is my favorite find Kurt. An 1880-90 Smith and Wesson New Model 3 44 Cal revolver found in Korea at a US Army 1940s dump.
The Japanese Imperial Army imported these revolvers from S&W in the 1880s because they did not yet have a small arms industry. My theory is that they brought this revolver to Korea during their occupation 1910-1945. It was probably discarded at the end of WW2 because it was obsolete.
I found this revolver in 2015 at a 1940s dump. WW2 era US Army and USMC buttons and other relics as well as some Imperial Japanese Army relics and 1940s South Korea Army buttons also surfaced. I also found some 1943-45 dated US Army issued Coke bottles in this dump.
I have since cleaned it and can see some of the S&W 1860s-70s patent numbers. This is my favorite find.

Last edited:

cjsutton1

Apr 29, 2017
LaGrange, KY
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well....I didn't have time to watch your video when it came out yesterday due to moving into our new fire station at work. Jumped on T-NET this morning because I had a few minutes and found your post.....guess I ruined the mystery of one item you dig in it. Welcome to T-NET, congrats on the find and can't wait to watch the video (and every Wednesday's video)!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet sir. I always wondered why you were not here. I recognized DFW_THer, and figured you might be lurking near by. I know you from your "work" on the You Tube, imagine that.

Congrats on the killer the belt plate. There is a similar one up top, on the banner, right now.

If you ever get to the Charlotte area, do not hesitate to PM me, I'd love to take you out for BBQ. You're not vegan are you?

I look forward to seeing your posts. Thanks for all the hard work on the videos. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kurt, I noticed the subtle difference in the neck and the head of the eagle when comparing yours to the 3 or four variations shown in the book, but since I couldn't find a model 1810 listed in the book, I chalked the difference up to a die variation. The book I referenced is the 2010 edition. It's still a classic plate and you can see it is pictured dead center on the cover of the book. I hope you can get a confirmed ID on it.

Thank you for the support Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions