DownNDirty
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Jun 1, 2015
- Messages
- 2,183
- Reaction score
- 3,209
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- South Carolina
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Equinox 800
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
A little over a year ago I found a large South Carolina Lowcountry Colonial plantation site which had Revolutionary War activity. Last year in an adjacent creek I found a pewter "PN" button; there has been a lot of debate about their origin and use and some have theorized that they may have been used on Rev War uniforms.
Earlier this year I found a complete 71st Regiment of Foot and partial 30th Regiment button at the plantation site. Today I decided to give the site another try. Several hours of detecting at the plantation site only produced half of a two piece tombac button and some furniture tacks.
It was a hot day so I decided to cool off in the creek. Off to a decent start with a tombac button. Then further up the creek I got a good signal and located it with the pinpointer. I lifted it to see the back of a nice pewter button-then I flipped it over to reveal a very crisp "RP" with a crown over it! I had found a 23mm "Royal Provincial" coat button from the uniform of a Loyalist soldier. Definitely a first for me and I was thrilled to have found it in such good condition.
The very next signal was a dropped .69 caliber round ball. Other than a fragment of a very large shark tooth that was it-but you'll hear no complaints from me! What a memorable day.
Earlier this year I found a complete 71st Regiment of Foot and partial 30th Regiment button at the plantation site. Today I decided to give the site another try. Several hours of detecting at the plantation site only produced half of a two piece tombac button and some furniture tacks.
It was a hot day so I decided to cool off in the creek. Off to a decent start with a tombac button. Then further up the creek I got a good signal and located it with the pinpointer. I lifted it to see the back of a nice pewter button-then I flipped it over to reveal a very crisp "RP" with a crown over it! I had found a 23mm "Royal Provincial" coat button from the uniform of a Loyalist soldier. Definitely a first for me and I was thrilled to have found it in such good condition.
The very next signal was a dropped .69 caliber round ball. Other than a fragment of a very large shark tooth that was it-but you'll hear no complaints from me! What a memorable day.
Attachments
Upvote
46
Doesn't get much better than that man. Interesting cleaning technique I'll keep in mind for my next solid pewter. Actually my profile picture is a solid condition pewter King Louis XVI button that I was too scared to clean any farther. Haha. Also, that shark tooth is huge and another really cool find. Look forward to your next post. 







