My find of a Lifetime - Revolutionary War Cartridge Pouch Badge

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got back to a site where I found a couple of revolutionary war buttons a couple of weeks ago. Hit it hard again for 2 hours and turned up nothing...not one single find.

I was a little disappointed at first, but decided to explore the surrounding woods in hopes of turning up something else. About 200 metres away I got a hit. Turned out to be another button. Then another...and another. I was on cloud nine as I realized the area I hunted before was not the main camp obviously.

I will get some photos up of the buttons later...

My find of the day, and my lifetime was this Royal Highland Emigrants cartridge pouch badge!! Not only is it in beautiful clean condition, it has some sweet detail! One lug is missing from the rear, but had it been there I probably would not have made this find. The 71st regiment used this exact plate, only there was a number 71 engraved in the circle at the bottom. Note mine is blank. This is because the Royal Highland Emigrants had not officially received a regimental number yet.

I still can't get over this piece!! It gave a sweet signal in one direction, and a terrible signal the other way. I knew there was a good signal in there with iron. Sure enough, 6 inches down I pulled out a massive iron spike. When I put the probe back in the hole and heard it ring off, it crossed my mind it could be a belt plate as I knew it was large brass. It was smack in the middle of roots and large rocks so I dug it out by hand and I am grateful I did!!! When I pushed the dirt our from behind the roots, the dirt peeled off forward leaving the face of this bad boy sticking out of the dirt. I didn't touch it for 3 minutes!!! I just stared at it in shock and disbelief.

Attachments

• DSC06914.jpg
    DSC06914.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 5,165
  • DSC06915.jpg
    DSC06915.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 5,248
  • DSC06913.jpg
    DSC06913.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 6,513
Upvote 1

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My god! My hand would quiver while holding that thing.....

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find.......You don't see those to often! Like I'm always saying it's like bringing "History back to life!" Now why would you want to stop metal Detecting! Doesn't make sense....People want to see History like that!!!

Nice.....

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much everyone. I would have replied sooner but I can't seem to put this thing down.

You are correct, there are some out there for sure...but it's a rare enough find and worth a good chunk of change.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
megadivers said:
Great find! In many publications these devices are described as hat badges as well. Congrats! :thumbsup:

You are correct, but those publications all base that info on one publication in particular. Bolton and Calver's "History Written with Pick and Shovel". They jumped to the conclusion of this being a bonnet badge, but the majority of rev war experts and collectors don't agree. I don't either. This piece is way too heavy for a bonnet badge.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Awsome find indeed,,,, never seen one of those!!!! thats what I love about this hobby ,,,,ya never know!!!

BANNER!!! FOR SURE!!!!

ARTHUR

Attachments

• orson.gif
    orson.gif
    188.7 KB · Views: 3,545
  • orson.gif
    orson.gif
    188.7 KB · Views: 3,535

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I just stared at it in shock and disbelief. "
Those are the best! ;D

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superb find and a lovely piece of history. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: Congrats on the banner!

Keep digging!

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention...thanks for the banner votes everyone!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes Wess, that one is going to be very hard to top! :icon_thumright: Congratulations and keep them comming!

Steve

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its absolutely beautiful! :icon_thumright: :headbang:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wess, you now have the center piece for your collection!! Awesome find!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob, if you are following this thread...shoot me your e-mail bud

Top Member Reactions