What's new

My finds from the Watermelon Patch

Twin Picks

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2015
Messages
69
Reaction score
109
Golden Thread
0
Location
Low Country
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been a lurker on here for sometime but this will be my first post of finds. Not long ago I moved to South Carolina from southern Cal. I had vary little in the way of places to dig and people to dig with. A few posts and PMs later that all changed. Thank you to T-Net for providing a place to share this great hobby!

On to the patch.... It should be called the iron patch as every inch of this place is thick with it. Since the ground is disturbed, none of the targets are mineralized in the ground and therefore sound like they are 1/4 the size they actually are. I run an Etrac so the tactic was to go reeeeeal slow. Well, it paid off with bountiful and diverse finds spanning 300 years of Charleston's history. Some of the highlights include:
1781 & 1789 1/2 reales -Mexico mint
Flowing hair draped bust large cent (date unknown and very toasty)
Georgious II Hibernia (date unknown)
War of 1812 cannon Artillery button
Fatty Indian head 1859
Hunk of melted silver
And numerous buttons and bobs.

I am glad to see all the a Items that have been saved from the Watermelon Patch. Especially the slave tag that Jon found. A sad but very important piece of history rescued from the concrete tomb that will soon erase this place.
Hope you enjoy these items. I will surly cherish this whole experience.

One more thing.. If your thinking about going to the patch you best watch out, Someone done knocked up Darlene and Uncle Cletus is fixin to dig whole for the sad SOB who done it. Rekon he don't care if in it was you or not, hes gonna dig that hole and put someone in it.

Happy hunting everyone!!

Link to more pictures:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

IMG_20160219_211431968_HDR.webpIMG_20160219_212237687.webpIMG_20160219_211508382.webpIMG_20160219_212258123.webpIMG_20160219_211534712.webpIMG_20160219_214042539.webpIMG_20160219_211551059.webpIMG_20160219_211449005_HDR.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160219_211317598_HDR.webp
    IMG_20160219_211317598_HDR.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Upvote 34
Darin you made some great saves especially your Coins. Glad you were able to make several firsts in your hunting. The Watermelon Patch not only provided great finds but also brought several hunters together for some great memories with some great people. I will remember the patch forever as they don't come along like this often. Thanks for being a part of it. Allen
 
Darin you made some great saves especially your Coins. Glad you were able to make several firsts in your hunting. The Watermelon Patch not only provided great finds but also brought several hunters together for some great memories with some great people. I will remember the patch forever as they don't come along like this often. Thanks for being a part of it. Allen

Thanks for making me a part of it Allen. I look forward to many more successful hunts together
 
Fantastic finds! I love those 1812 buttons and Spanish always puts a huge smile on my face. When you all finish that spot I would love to see a post of the best of the best from there. I bet it's gonna be damn impressive
 
very nice finds
 
Very nice saves Darin- great to the see all your digs together. Spanish silver, colonial copper, artillery button...its just nuts to think that came from one site. Big congrats on many firsts and hopefully we link up again soon.
 
MAN LOVE THE POTTERY SHERDS ....
 
That's just totally awesome! Those are really super nice finds.

tabman
 
Congratulations Darin. I know those great finds were on your list as well as mine. I knocked a few off my list there and will post real soon. Nice Hunting with you and can't wait till next time. Todd
 
Fantastic finds! I love those 1812 buttons and Spanish always puts a huge smile on my face. When you all finish that spot I would love to see a post of the best of the best from there. I bet it's gonna be damn impressive
Thank you Ahab,
I think that's a great idea
 
What a wonderful location you have!! Great assortment of finds.!!!:occasion14:
 
Bye_mini.webp

Rest in Peace Watermelon Patch
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom