My Finds Since Starting Detecting in November, and a poll question...

What Machine do you think has produced the most keeper finds for me in my soil conditions?

• My DFX (Used for 5 Months)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Minelab SE (Used for 5 Months)

• I am going to Vote for Whites anyway, regardless of the fact presented.

• Total voters

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Here are my "Keeper" finds since starting detecting in November 2006.... Please vote and let me know what Machine seems to be working better.

My Whites DFX Finds

2006_0615Image0002.jpg

My Minelab Explorer Find

2006_0615Image0004.jpg

2006_0615Image0005.jpg

2006_0615Image0009.jpg

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds....keep up the good work!

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Looks like Minelab to me Storm. And guess what, im a Whites owner! You got to keep a open mind. Life throws you changes all the time. Dont be like some people on this site and bash. You got to be able to roll with the punches. Very nice finds Storm, with BOTH detectors! WTG and HH
Coinman66

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
coinman66 said:
Looks like Minelab to me Storm. And guess what, im a Whites owner! You got to keep a open mind. Life throws you changes all the time. Dont be like some people on this site and bash. You got to be able to roll with the punches. Very nice finds Storm, with BOTH detectors! WTG and HH
Coinman66

I agree!!! In no way am I bashing any brand of detector. I am just asking an opinion about what machine seems to be working better for finding the deeper coins in my area. I thought now that I have had an equal amount of time on both machine, it would be a good chance to post this thread and get some users opinions on what machine they think is working better for me.

I think the Minelab Explorer seems to be better, but I thought I would keep it fair and let you folks be the judge ;D

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Not to offend you storm but my Deleon found more keepers since April of this year than you found with the top machine, and it didn't cost anywhere near the price of either machine.

Great finds I wish they were in my collection.

Where's the zipper pulls?

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
You didn't say if you hunted the same spots w/both to see what the other missed,if anything.If you didn't hunt the same place,I don't see how you can compare them except for maybe ease of use and the one you feel more comfortable with.Sorry,can't give a vote.

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
mastereagle22 said:
Not to offend you storm but my Deleon found more keepers since April of this year than you found with the top machine, and it didn't cost anywhere near the price of either machine.

Great finds I wish they were in my collection.

Not offended one bit Master! It has to do with the places you are hunting, how old the area is, how many before you have been there and with what machines. You have to remember that different areas are going to produce different finds and quantity of finds. Your parks and public places may not be hit as hard as ours since you are still finding a good amount of silver. On an average day, I can spend 5 hours in a Portland park and only walk away with one keeper. Why, because I can think of about 30 retired people that have hunted these places to death over the last 10 years and who knows how many before them.

Does it mean they are hunted out and everthing has been found...NO! It means that I am detecting areas that have been hammered to death by retired guys that spend 300 days a year detecting parks with Minelabs w/ 15" WOT coils....I have ran into them. Not to mention that once a month, about 30-50 club guys do their club hunts in these parks....and have been since the 70's. So that is what I am dealing with here in Portland.

Now that I was able to Find "Lee's Place" through research and it is showing strong signs of being virgin, I am sure my numbers are going to go way up because I found a 64 acre 1904 - present day site that was overlooked and I secured permission.

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
warsawdaddy said:
You didn't say if you hunted the same spots w/both to see what the other missed,if anything.If you didn't hunt the same place,I don't see how you can compare them except for maybe ease of use and the one you feel more comfortable with.Sorry,can't give a vote.

Same sites, 4 parks that I have been doing and 2 private propertys.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I think you might be a little unfair to the DFX, some of your finds with the Minelab came from a "virgin" site. can you say the DFX couldn't find them?? Love the finds, from both and looks like you've done a great job mastering your Minelab!! Do you remember where the class ring hit on the Minelab??

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Jack(IN) said:
I think you might be a little unfair to the DFX, some of your finds with the Minelab came from a "virgin" site. can you say the DFX couldn't find them??  Love the finds, from both and looks like you've done a great job mastering your Minelab!!  Do you remember where the class ring hit on the Minelab??

Not unfair to the DFX at all.  I took it out to a 1833 site and was watching my hunting partner with a SE digging up deep silver coins left and right.  I found 2 wheaties that trip with my DFX from a site that held lots of deep coins that I couldn't touch!  That was the trip out that I made the choice to switch.  Nothing like having your buddy call you over to compare a deep pre-dug signal, then you cant even pick it up, then you watch him pull up a silver dime....How depressing!

The ring was a surface find that was stepped on pushing it a little under the soil.  So when I ran my coil over it I almost blew out my headphones LOL  So I looked down and saw it sticking out of the grass, so I really didn't get a good chance to see where it hit.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I've found a couple big class rings(both same year, same school) and both hit on smartscreen just under memorial penny and was curious?

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Just the fact that 5 of you so far have voted for the DFX finds just proves to me that there are a few people on this forum,  when faced with facts still can't stop making your loyalty to the Whites brand influence you.  Hands down The Minelab is a better machine for me and you still picked the Whites just to make a Statement.  And it did just that!!!!!

No matter what you prove to people with brand loyalty, you are never going to sway their vote, even when faced with the fact!  Thank for proving my point Whites Voters!!!!  ::) ::) ::)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly though, there are so MANY other variables besides owning a Minelab, that could have played a hand in when, where, and how you found your "keepers." Even though your Minelab may SEEM to be doing better for you, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is because of the detector. ;)

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
That is pretty cheap! You took the SE to virign sites. Come on, dude, uhhhh, let me take a cheap Radio Shack datector to my virgin sites, then compare it to my Pro XL finds. The Radio Shack is BETTER! That is funny!

Your DFX could compete just as much! Don't give me that load of cheese and crackas. >:( :D

Why do you Indian Heads in those protective things? They are bronze, not wilver. Heck, I don't even protect my wilver. If I found a Capped, I would want to feel it in my hand. :D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Storm,
First off, great finds there Dude. Fantastic job. I still love that class ring you found. It's one of the nicest I've ever seen.

Second, I don't have a White's or a Minelab, but my guess is Minelab. My MD partner Mr. Ridley has both of those machines mentioned, and he seems to be doing very well with his new Minelab.
I'm sure he'll have more to say about his experience with both.

Great post.
Thanks,
MM

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
KirkPA said:
That is pretty cheap! You took the SE to virign sites. Come on, dude, uhhhh, let me take a cheap Radio Shack datector to my virgin sites, then compare it to my Pro XL finds. The Radio Shack is BETTER! That is funny!

Your DFX could compete just as much! Don't give me that load of cheese and crackas. >:( :D

Why do you Indian Heads in those protective things? They are bronze, not wilver. Heck, I don't even protect my wilver. If I found a Capped, I would want to feel it in my hand. :D

3 coins in the picture came from that "Virgin Site" LOL

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stormtrooper154 said:
coinman66 said:
Coinman66

I agree!!! In no way am I bashing any brand of detector. I am just asking an opinion about what machine seems to be working better for finding the deeper coins in my area. I thought now that I have had an equal amount of time on both machine, it would be a good chance to post this thread and get some users opinions on what machine they think is working better for me.

I think the Minelab Explorer seems to be better, but I thought I would keep it fair and let you folks be the judge ;D

I say use whatever detector you're comfortable with and that you like using and that works for you - seems to make logical.

You're a smart guy and your quote that you "in no way are bashing any brand of detector" is disingenuous at best and not true at worst - I'm fairly confident there's an agenda behind your poll and it's not because you honestly can't figure out what detector is working better for you ::)

It looks to me like you've made some great finds since you started and you should be proud of what you found period. If my dog could sniff out more silver coins than I could find with my Fisher, I'd be using my dog - that doesn't mean I'm gonna come on here and ridicule anyone for using a Fisher.

Sell the detector you don't like on Ebay and move on. Either that, or you and Kirk should just PM each other back and forth about this stuff - it sucks to have to wade through so many of these "mine is bigger than yours" threads to find things worth reading.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread