Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals,

New forum member and metal detectorist here. My only previous experience was when as an 8y.o. I received a Radio Shack model as a gift. I dug a bunch of trash out of the front yard and my detector somehow disappeared.

Anyway, many moons later and I'm still digging trash. I've done three good trips now for detecting with about 20 hours of swing time total.

I thought I'd share my experiences thus far. :)

First time out: Went to a section of a park that used to be an RV campground -- I think between the 1940's and 90's. It now sees little attention. Lots of tabs and tops, a few cool junkers for my first official outing, and a little bit of clad.

20170414_183100.jpg

Second time out: Combed a larger area of a park around the more obvious congregation points like trees, walkways, tables and center sections of fields. This also turned into my first experience detecting in the dark. Fortunately my pinpointer has a white led light aimed forward.

20170415_221613.jpg

Third time out: Worked a small section of the same previous park and about a mile of beach. Not thinking I tossed the trash before I took a pic, but it was the usual tabs and caps with a few nails and fish hooks mixed in. I actually found a 1956 D Wheat Penny on the beach and got excited for a second because there were a few more targets in that little area... but the other targets were all new issue pennies from the last 5 years or so. However, this technically qualifies as my first Wheat Penny find with a detector :icon_cheers:. This also turned into another after dark excursion, fortunately I had a flash light this time. Note to self - dedicate a headlamp to my md'ing gear bag.

20170422_214822.jpg

20170422_215518.jpeg
20170422_215528.jpeg

20170422_200031.jpg

It amazes me somtimes just how precise these things can be. There also seems to be something about round, metal items - no matter how small - that always seem to ring through strong and clear.

Like this little bit:

20170422_215704.jpeg

Anyway, I think Im learning a lot about what to listen for. But Im noticing that when I get a choppy signal I'll work at it for a bit trying to get a good signal. Sometimes I'll get that choppy signal to ring clear, and dig to find trash. Sometimes I can't get a solid tone but I still dig it anyway and its also trash. :icon_scratch: P.S. Please sign my petition to ban pull tabs, bottle caps and screw tops. :tongue3:

Its frustrating because I know this town has quite a bit of history. First it was indian land, of course. Then farm land, of course. Then starting in the mid-to late 1800's through early 1900's is was like a resort town. Granted a large portion of the island is fill, a lot of the homes were built in the early 1900's after the big SF earthquake, then during WW2 the place had a massive influx of people. That said Im sure its been worked over well and built over several times it seems, but there's got to be somewhere around here I can find a sliver coin or two. I'll be so ecstatic when I find my first silver coinage ever!

That said, to date I've found over $5 dollars in (mostly spendable) clad coins and an uncounted number of pennies over my 3 trips! At this rate another 300 trips and I'll have covered my start-up costs. :laughing7:

20170422_220830.jpg

:icon_thumright::metaldetector:

Upvote 9

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having fun yet? Exercising those arms! Bending at the waist, over and over and over...I think we've been tricked into working out! :laughing7:
And cleaning up other peoples messes...:laughing9:
Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having fun yet? Exercising those arms! Bending at the waist, over and over and over...I think we've been tricked into working out! :laughing7:
And cleaning up other peoples messes...:laughing9:
Happy Hunting!

Loads of fun, yes. Thanks! I was actually bit sore after my marathon day of digging on Saturday. Just so happens Saturday was also earth day. That morning I did some volunteer clean up with the local parks department and hauled out a bucket of trash. The rest of the day I dug trash out of the ground :).

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May it never stop being exciting and fun! :occasion14:

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's great that you're looking for reasons to dig, rather then looking for a reason not to dig. You'll find plenty at that rate.

Congrats on the first wheatie! My first was also a recent drop at the beach, but hey, it's still your first wheatie!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
glad you got back into the game. Only a matter of time now before it slowly takes over your life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread