MY FIRST 2 WEEKS OF MD

Lynn Wilson

Nov 12, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I am off to an interesting start, still learning the ins and outs of my new hobby. I didn't dig up Jimmy Hoffa or a fortune in gold coins, but I have found a few things and thought I would share the list with folks who can relate:

several nondescript hunks of iron
7 aluminum cans
6 nails (all modern)
5 pieces of wire
2 bottle caps
2 intact glass jars of Colgate Veto Cream Deodorant (1970 or so?) with metal lids
1 intact glass Coke bottle (1970?)
1 aluminum pull tab
1 clad quarter (1995)
1 farm doohickey that looks like a pulley

(and a partridge in a pear tree--sorry, I couldn't resist)

All-in-all it's nothing to write home about, but I am enjoying myself immensely! Thank you, Santa, for my new toy! And HH, everybody, in 2014!

Last edited:
Upvote 18

Irony

Jan 4, 2014
Southeastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett EuroAce, Dalyn digger, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL looks my life-list so far! Hence the name Irony, I am really good at finding it, even though the bf is threatening to change that :-) But you seem to be having a lot of fun, so enjoy and keep us up to date on what you find!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patience and you get rewarded--but the one thing i learnt this year being my first year.....location location location

keep at it....research and ask questions of the older people in your neighbourhood

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patience and you get rewarded--but the one thing i learnt this year being my first year.....location location location keep at it....research and ask questions of the older people in your neighbourhood
AQUA is right on the money with his location comment. These great finds rarely happen by accident. We only see the final product on this forum but usually there's hours of research and mapping and locating property owners. I literally spend a couple hours every evening researching my local history and plotting them out on a map. Put in the time and you will be rewarded out there. Like anything you only get out what you put in! Good luck out there, Abe

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not stress enouph when starting out how important it is to take your time and listen to your detector before you dig. Make several passes over your target and really listen to it, then dig it, even if it sounds like garbage. It's the best way to learn what to dig and what not to dig. Watch any vdeo regardless of who makes the machine as long as you can hear the tones the detector is making. You will soon understand how to determine how large an object is and whats good and whats bad (to some extent) and what to listen for.
Good luck and Happy Hunting.
ZDD

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good advice / tips, but the main thing is you enjoy it, and you said you did. Keep at it, and good things will come.

Frankly VERY few of us will ever dig a "fortune in gold coins", but there is also a lot of stuff out there that will make a person happy, certainly worthy of show and tell.

There are exceptions to the rule of course, like the person who buys a detector and finds 2 gold rings on their first day, but honestly that is far from the norm. My first year netted me a handfull of stuff, this year I filled 6 8" X 14" cases.

find13rev001.JPG

Good luck out there.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, it's a good thing we don't have to write home about all our finds. ;)

Anyone expecting too much is going to be much disappointed. You're doing fine. Just keep learning the machine.

Thanks for sharing.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad to see you are enjoying yourself- results will surely follow. I do some kind of detecting every day that is remotely possible
and love every minute of it!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the hobby. As long as you're having fun in it, your chances of making that first "good" find increase because you're going to spend more time at it. The people here will support you any way they can. Good luck to you.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a bad start, I dug a lot of BS...Boring stuff when I started......and still do, Work on learning your machine, research dig sites, gain permission, Keep on digging and happy hunting!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you don't have headphones, get some.... not only do they help block out outside noise and enhance the sounds your machine makes, but if you are running a constant threshold sound, you can really listen for and hear those faint signals from deep objects or coins that are standing on edge

Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphone keep your ears warm too!
I think I dug up a thingamajig that goes with that doohickey.:laughing7:
Keep on digging, you're doing great.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, if you are digging nails, wire, and bottle caps, you're heading in the right direction.
Most new detectorists won't even bother digging those signals, so it's just a matter of time
before you start hitting the good stuff.
Living in Tenn doesn't hurt either, you got centuries of finds waiting to be dug.
Now start tormenting your coworkers, relatives, and the odd stranger for permission to start
digging on their property!
Carl

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good list of finds, keep at it, it won't take long to learn your machine, The more you dig the more you learn. Good luck in your search for treasure.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the worlds greatest hobby and the TN forum! Good luck and HH.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
And its just being outdoors. But it looks like you had one of my days. Find an old school play yard. Things will pick up then.:icon_thumleft:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found a partridge but I did find a crow in a tree or rather he found me, bulls eye- plop! Right on my shoulder!
Lynn Wilson, when you do dig up that first goodie it will be a thrill you will remember the rest of your life!
This is an awesome hobby with unlimited potential, and it's fun! GL & HH!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey you beat me this past week,all I found was cans and bottle tops! I'll bet when you found the farm doohickey it was fun to dig anyway.This week is gonna be awfully cold for detecting but you know our weather,hang around long enough and it changes.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
My first month of detecting back in 1998 produced *zero* silver coins. I found my first two mercs shortly after that- at a different location that still had silver in the ground. As others have said, you've got to put yourself in the right place. If there's no silver or gold in the ground where you're looking, you won't find any silver or gold, guaranteed! Same goes for Civil War relics!

One of my trips on my first day of detecting was to an untouched site that later produced tons of Barber coins, large cents, early mercs., Indian cents, a 2-cent piece, and V and Buffalo nickels. I walked right by them all on that first day and just missed the good area by a couple of yards!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread