My first attempt at thrift store hunting

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had some time at lunch and decided to hit a local Goodwill. Primary focus going in was watches, or even gold/silver jewelry not marked as such. Turns out all watches and jewelry were inside of a case in front next to the register, and the counter space was small to begin with, basically smack-dab in the middle of "traffic lanes" of shoppers entering and exiting the checkout area. Not really conducive to browsing. I decided to check out some other types of items first.

Took a quick browse through the artwork, but that isn't an area I'm real familiar with. I did see a 1991 Pittsburgh Pirates NL East Champions plaque, looked kind of cool, had a team photo and some wording on it. Marked at $25, though, it wasn't a bargain to me.

Decided to look at the books, in case there was anything obscure most people wouldn't care about, like books about metal detecting :D. But, it looks like there was no rhyme or reason to the order and I didn't have the time or patience to wade through it all.

Finally decided to take a closer look at the watches in the cases. There were no bags of watches, all were individually marked. Just to make an effort, I did ask to see a couple of watches when there was a break in the traffic. One had been upside down in the case, and it turned out to be some junk brand. The other was a Perry Ellis watch marked at 8 bucks, didn't seem worth it. I later looked up eBay sold prices of PE watches to confirm.

Guess I need to find another place! 8-)

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing about thrift stores is you have to be patient. They put new stuff out every day, often several times a day. Mnay times I find nothing at a thrift store, but then the next trip I will get a bunch of stuff.

OP
OP
WhiteTornado

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing about thrift stores is you have to be patient. They put new stuff out every day, often several times a day. Mnay times I find nothing at a thrift store, but then the next trip I will get a bunch of stuff.

That's what I am figuring. I'm sure I will go back to this store sometime, but only once in a while. It was pretty busy in there today. Maybe it would be easier with less foot traffic.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TS are hit and miss. Have to remember that people are donating what they do not want. Very seldom will someone donate something of value. Don't let the traffic flow stop you from looking, I have seen people block the jewelry counter with shopping carts until they are do looking.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always keep this time tested (by me) words of wisdom....Faith, Hope, and Great Expectations, like the American Express Card, never leave home without them! Additionally, always remember the law of averages, the more times you go, the better the chances of scoring! My game plan every Saturday morning is to hit my local swap meet, (530am-6am) then garage sale hunt, and in-between thrift stores and pawn shops! Mon-Frid I do thrift stores and pawn shops! You definitely have to love to do this, or else it will become too much of an inconvenience driving, searching, hunting, from so early until about 1pm. :-) Finally, never, never, never give up! All the best to you, and good luck!

RJA

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Be patient, go slow and don't be surprised at the stuff you missed before. I have given a great deal to Goodwill, just to reduce my stuff. Electronics, expensive cigar materials like Dunhill lighters, Daniel Marshall humidors(2) Davidoff cutters(Dr. made me quit), golf clubs, bags, shoes(Foot Joy Classics)(Dr. said no mas), electronics, cowboy boots(Dr. said no more). Well, you get the idea. I have seen some high dollar stuff in those stores. Remember too, that lots of folks, when a relative passes away, cleans out the house and donates everything. I did that after my parents died. So go slow, find treasure and have fun.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Persistence, knowledge, eye and luck!

OP
OP
WhiteTornado

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate everyone's encouragement and tips. I'll occasionally go into a thrift shop, not sure I'll be doing it regularly. But at least I know more of what to look for, thanks to the good folks here.

TunnelRat

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Austin is correct. You can occasionally find great deals if you look. I picked up a 3 piece military sleeping bag system that I have seen sell for as much as $150 new and I only paid $5 for it. It looks like it might have been uses a few times but maybe not even that much.

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
w/ Sun Ray Invader FX-1 probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it WT, I have also found some great items at the Goodwill. The 50% off Saturdays are a bit insane with the crowds, midweek seems to be the time to find the good stuff when it's not so busy.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth -- my advice is to go often and buy anything that strikes your fancy and is cheap. You'll get a lot of junk you have to donate back or dump at a flea/ garage sale. In a few weeks you'll make discoveries you'll be teaching us about.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have noticed one thing about books. If it's in good shape, has a nonfiction obscure topic, and a uncommon book it can sell for GOOD money!

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Also dont waste your time and money on things advertised as collectible or limited edition,collectible theyre not,millions were made its an advertising gimmick.Samething with limited addition.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Another good rule...just because it's shines doesn't mean it has value!!!!!

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

groovydig

Sep 19, 2015
Indianapolis/New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a time when you could be assured of a find or two with a trip to Goodwill; that was before "Antiques Roadshow" "Storage Wars" etc., etc. Thrift stores--especially Goodwill--caught on and now, anything of perceived value is set aside and checked out. That being said, things will always slip by. Persistence, persistence--go often!! And be prepared to start seeing some of the same faces--there are others doing the exact same thing. :) My best thrift store finds were from independent thrift stores--churches, charities, etc. One of my more memorable finds at such a place was a group of old Lesney die-cast (early Hot Wheels) cars in their boxes, mint condition. I think there were 15 total...they were priced at 25 cents apiece, but since I bought them all, they let me have the lot for $2. After eBay took their cut, I ended up with about $1200. **And here is what gets you access/"preferred status"**!!! I took $500 of it and donated it to the charity.....don't be greedy!! ;)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive found some good stuff in thrift stores,one of my best ones is a piece of 1726 delftware.Its the right place right time kind of thing unless you get to know the owner and get to know the operation.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I went in the same store if that's the newer on on Rt. 40 in EC.

I was looking at the jewelry and they had a silver necklace in there (under the glass). Unfortunately they were asking 200 bucks. Not a bargain in my book.
I've dug up WAY more silver than was in that necklace for free.

The Goodwill stores have really gone up on their prices in the last few years. they also really keep the good jewelry and silver ware off of the shelves. It didn't used to be that way.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The good will stores now have people who check out everything to the max
the best ts are the ones run by food pantry's and churches

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I tell everybody starting out is to find your niche. Something that you are comfortable with that you know something about them. if you do some research you will know a lot about. And then build from there. I don't know how familiar you are with stuff in general but I started off with baseball cards. I didn't buy any though I sold ones I collected as a kid. Then I sold off stuff that I was given or I inherited. Stuff I had around the house and I didn't need anymore. Hallmark ornaments that my mom gave me hundreds of growing up. That my kids think are cool but I'd rather have 10 or $15 for them instead of sitting in the attic.

Go find your wife or brothers old iPhone. Sell that thing make $50 or so. Ask your neighbor if they have anything in the garage or you're looking to collect, something and see what they come up with. Or if any family members have anything. All the stuff they give you your not looking to make a fortune off of it. You're gonna take it, you're going to learn about it. You'll learn that when you walking to the thrift store and you see a blender that you're look for this type a blender versus that type a blender.

Have your friends or your family ask their friends if they have anything that you can sell for them. Then make a commission off of it. You're not gonna become a millionaire but you're going to learn. You're going to get started and it's not gonna cost you anything. It sucks when you buy stuff that you have a feeling it's worth something and you get home and it's worth less than what you pay for it or at best what you paid for it. But I love asking people. I love walking into their houses and looking at their stuff even if I never buy it. And I love sitting down with someone in learning about something they have so I can use that as future knowledge when I go somewhere else.

They say you have $20,000 worth of stuff to sitting around your house. Go to a family members house and look at their $20,000 worth of stuff. And then go to the next guys. It's helpful. Just some food for the brain. Have a good night!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread