What's new

My first Detector arrived today....now what?

koolmac68

Greenie
Joined
May 25, 2009
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
south jersey
Detector(s) used
whites DFX 300
Just got my first detector, Whites DFX300. I read the manual, searched my backyard and now I'm doing more research on the net. How long did it take you guys to get used to all the beeps and when and what to dig? I did about 3months worth of research and I'm still overwhelmed by this machine. Tomorrow I'll hunt some area parks and Sunday the beach in Atlantic City. Wish me luck.
 
Hey, Good Luck, and just relax and have fun for the first
few weeks - you'll get the hang of it. :hello:

My mantra is to simply enjoy yourself, as long as you do go
back later and be sure you know how to fiddle with the dials.

To start, just use the factory recommended settings - I think
they have little white triangles on each dial. Then when you have
trouble of any kind go back and read up on it.

The only caution is to not become content with those settings.
You will start learning how to set the discrim. dial for better
results, and you will need eventually to learn about ground :read2:
balance under various conditions.

That's a good machine and you will be able to find things
easily enough. Get to know the signals for each coin type
and the pull-tabs. That will keep you busy for a while.

An welcome to the hobby! :hello2:
 
start by hunting in coin mode first.....work your way up to the other modes

Congrats....and good luck...
 
Start in "Coins" setting, go from there. Buy any manuals for the DFX, especially "Digging Deeper With the DFX", by Jeff Foster. Go slow, and be patient, very patient.
 
Start by digging everything. Even in coin mode you'll find more than just coins. When you get a hit take a guess based on what the display says and see if you're right. You'll start to see how much of the time that you're right. You can verify coins alot of the time by turning 90 degrees to the target and swinging again. If you still get a solid dime hit, or whatever, it's a good chance that's what you'll dig up.

Good luck and have fun!
 
Forward via USPS said package, postage paid to:


Unit 30400 Box 5000
ATTN: Airborne1092
APO AE 09131-5000


Thank you, Drive through!
 
Thanks for all the motivating advice guys. I cant wait to find my first gold coin!!!!
 
Whites has a free book offer on their website that someone posted about out here. You can get a totally free copy of "Understanding White's DFX" by Jimmy "Sierra" Normandi. I ordered mine last month and had it on my doorstep within two days! I haven't read through all of it because I don't even own a DFX. But it does appear to give some very good info and being free the price sure is right!

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/dfxbook.php
 
Yes, it will require lots of patience.
 
The book recommended, "Digging deeper with the DFX" would be a great help to you.

You won't have to tweek the machine much, if at all for a while, until you're comfortable with what you're finding. Practice, practice, practice.......lol

Like Plehbah stated...it's a beast to start out, but the presets will make some nice finds.

Check the White's forum above. There's a link to it for White's on the banner above. You'll find tons of info from experienced users there and there is also a DFX only forum....

Good luck,
Al
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom