My first dig, a success story.

T

ToddWebb

I'm new to this, just received my Discovery 3300. So, after reading the instructions, I went into my backyard and tested her out.

The first hit was odd. The pinpointer feature suggested the item was long and narrow, like a screwdriver. I dug, but never found anything. "This hobby sucks," I thought. I filled that hole. I moved further from my house, so as to avoid old construction debris. I also learned to ignore the low-end beeps.

In the back corner of the yard, where my dog regularly relieves himself, I got my first high-pitch beep. I dug my second hole. It took a while, and a tad bigger hole than I'd wished for. But, amid the stench Sneezy's recent creations, I dug. And sitting atop my dirt pile I found a dirty penny :-) That was more fun than digging an empty hole.

I had read and learned from Treasurenet.com. So before filling my hole, I scanned it again. Still, it beeped. And still that high-pitch beep. So I pinpointed to the side of the hole and widened her out a little. There was a dime sticking out at me. What glee :-) Silver is so much more fun than copper!

Now the hole was clean. I filled it. The third hole yielded some crumpled foil. The fourth hold beeped high-pitch too, but comes up empty. The beeping is persistent and seems to come from all around my hole. Either I'm not deep enough, or I've got 2 targets on either side of my ever-widening hole. I grew tired of the digging and left that hole for now, unfilled. I'll get myself a pinpointer and return to that hole later.

I ran my 2 coins under water and brushed them with an old toothbrush. The penny is a 1944 wheatback in very poor condition. The dime has a lady on the front (one of those mercury dimes I hear of?) and is from 1940. Sweet.

Attachments

• First-and-2nd-coins.jpg
    First-and-2nd-coins.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 399
Upvote 0

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right about one thing, it was a successful start. Good luck on future digs and let us know what you find.

J

jamesfrompa

Great find of silver you have there! I use a Whites pin pointer and like it very much. You can use the probe in the hole and search around so you don't dig the hole too big and don't end up scratching a coin up.
James

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KAZOO...Where are you?!!!! Nice ones....

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Tnet, Toddwebb. A wheatie and a mercury dime on your first hunt is a great start.

I'm sure we'll be hearing more from you. :)

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the finds. Don't forget to wash your hands. :D :D HH Burdie

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great success Todd!~ The merc's are my favorite to find!

You did good!

Nana ;)

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Awesome start! I'm new too and yet to find anything amazing, but finding coins my first time out was really exciting, a Mercury dime would've been fantastic! I found one once, but not metal detecting, just pays to keep your eyes open sometimes...

P.S. That's no lady, that's Mercury, the messenger god (winged helmet and all).

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Nice finds for a great begining....But trust me on this , your days of digging through the doo-doo to get to the good stuff has only just begun! ;)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow, your first find a Merc!! Congrats!
I think you have a bright shiney future of awesome finds.
Best of luck to you!

Smiles!
BDoo

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Congratulations on the finds! But persistence and patience pays off in this hobby,so don't get discouraged if you dig hole and only find a cent, they all add up nicely. ;) Btw, you said you left the hole unfilled, which is ok but just make sure your dog doesn't go back there and step in it and injure itself.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eathan said:
P.S. That's no lady, that's Mercury, the messenger god (winged helmet and all).

It says in my coin book (Yeoman's) that it isn't really Mercury, it's a winged-headed depiction of Liberty that indicates freedom of thought. Not too sure on the gender. Usually Liberty is a "she". Because it looks so much like Mercury, nobody calls them "winged Liberty head dimes". OK maybe some do. :)

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Crap, I always took the "Mercury" part literally. I stand corrected - sounds like it may be a lady afterall...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread