My first dig, a success story.

T

ToddWebb

I'm new to this, just received my Discovery 3300. So, after reading the instructions, I went into my backyard and tested her out.

The first hit was odd. The pinpointer feature suggested the item was long and narrow, like a screwdriver. I dug, but never found anything. "This hobby sucks," I thought. I filled that hole. I moved further from my house, so as to avoid old construction debris. I also learned to ignore the low-end beeps.

In the back corner of the yard, where my dog regularly relieves himself, I got my first high-pitch beep. I dug my second hole. It took a while, and a tad bigger hole than I'd wished for. But, amid the stench Sneezy's recent creations, I dug. And sitting atop my dirt pile I found a dirty penny :-) That was more fun than digging an empty hole.

I had read and learned from Treasurenet.com. So before filling my hole, I scanned it again. Still, it beeped. And still that high-pitch beep. So I pinpointed to the side of the hole and widened her out a little. There was a dime sticking out at me. What glee :-) Silver is so much more fun than copper!

Now the hole was clean. I filled it. The third hole yielded some crumpled foil. The fourth hold beeped high-pitch too, but comes up empty. The beeping is persistent and seems to come from all around my hole. Either I'm not deep enough, or I've got 2 targets on either side of my ever-widening hole. I grew tired of the digging and left that hole for now, unfilled. I'll get myself a pinpointer and return to that hole later.

I ran my 2 coins under water and brushed them with an old toothbrush. The penny is a 1944 wheatback in very poor condition. The dime has a lady on the front (one of those mercury dimes I hear of?) and is from 1940. Sweet.

Attachments

• First-and-2nd-coins.jpg
    First-and-2nd-coins.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 399
Upvote 0
Thanks for the kudos and the welcome everyone.

I was pretty psyched to find it because I've never actually seen one in real life. I collected coins as a kid, but that was limited mainly to wheatbacks and all the silver-by-year deals. So it's a really cool coin for me, regardless of condition.

I wasn't sure if I should be encouraged or not :-) Because now, I figure, there's no place for me but downhill. But I like the way some of you think... this is an omen of things to come :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back